Mapp gas torches

From time to time I toy with the idea of getting a mapp gas torch... (got a Bernzomatic quickfire II at the mo) has anyone made the switch from a decent propane torch to mapp, care to comment on the difference?

(it would be nice to be able to drive moisture off on very slightly damp pipes etc when soldering)

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to use a cheap propane/butane torch and switched to a Rothenburger SureFire2 and MAPP gas.

It's chalk and cheese - though I can't tell you how much of the improvement is due to the new torch, and how much to the mapp gas (the surefire2 also accepts propane/butane in the cartridge design as mapp gas - but I've never done this).

Firstly convenience - you pull the gas trigger which also ignites the gas (without fail, so far) and the torch is up to working temperature more or less instantly.

Secondly gas temperature and/or the sheer power output - 15mm joints reflow with maybe 3 seconds - even 28mm joints, maybe 10 seconds.

Thirdly convenience/safety again - there's never any reason to set down a burning torch - you only fire it up whilst you're actually applying it to the joint.

Never looked back. Never used the old torch since.

MAPP smells odd, and ISTR in a way that bothers some people. I also STR that what we call MAPP now, is actually a similar substitute gas - a chemical plant shut down or something, hence the shift in formulation.

Reply to
dom

Pretty much the same on the quickfire - so I suspect that torch related rather than gas.

I would guess its getting on for twice that with the propane...

Sounds like it might be worth an upgrade.

Yup I remember reading similar somewhere...

Reply to
John Rumm

Discontinued production 2008 -

Alan Braggins