Maplin infra red Thermometer

Have you ever pointed it into a just boiled kettle full of water?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I pointed it into water pouring out of a tap into pan. A combi set to 60C DHW temp. It read 59C. The water was turbulent. Not sure what it would read being still. The beam can reflect and doesn't like light or reflective surfaces.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

One of the first things I did with my new toy was to point it at a a pan of boiling water; it read 99.2C I also found that wine in the bottom of the kitchen wine-rack (floor level) read about 3C cooler than the top (waist-height).

Reply to
LSR

Sky (blue with clouds) -16C

Sky though my office window +20C (so I guess that's the glass radiating with the internal temperture)

Just done so. Point it at the black top of the kettle: 85C, point it at the shi y (chrome) outside of boiling kett;e 38C.

I suspect that the calibration works only if the radiating object is a 'black body'

Point into acceptably hot cup of coffee: 66C

Inside my mouth: 36C

Inside 100Watt running electric fan heater: 134C

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Clear sky at night -40C

Sun +lots!

Reply to
<me9

Yes but I tested it on a thermos part filled with boiling water, I thought this would be a good black body, so I was surprised to see a reading of

88C, on repeating the test with various pots and pans I still see lower than 100C but do see initial 99C readings, so I surmise the drops of condensed water in the plume are affecting the reading

Yes mine reads as expected elsewhere.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

Yeah, so using one to look for hot spots on the roof ( which was what someone was asking) isn't going to give very meaningful results

It's very easy to get misled by that little red spot

Reply to
geoff

Of course that depends where you are at the time...

One way to test the effect is to point it at two very different sources a reasonable distance away, then move in on the hot one. As you get closer the temperature should go up steadily.

At that price, though, I'd doubt if the response is very linear across the whole beam.

I got mine today.

Reply to
PCPaul

A bit late in the day but I found a cheaper - in every sense - version from dealextreme.com

's $33 inc p&p, 5:1 -50 to +200 C +/- 5%

Great site for other gadgets - including lots of really stupid stuff. Usually takes about a week to arrive

Reply to
pjlusenet

Digital IR thermometer with laser pointer - 99P

John

Always worth checking the postage ! - in this case £15.99 (from HongKong).

So - do you really want to deal with a seller who tries to 'defraud' eBay by avoiding their fees ?

(Not wishing to start the debate about how high the fees are in the first place !)

The other thing to be aware of is that, should the item not turn up, or be u/s or otherwise 'not as described' - you may find that you can only get the 99p back.....

Buyer beware, as always! Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, but... it takes a week to browse the rest of the site before ordering loads of stuff from it!

Very good for usefully bright LED torches too. And the prices all include postage, which is an idea other web shops should learn from!

Reply to
PCPaul

In message , John writes

Reply to