Maplin "50W HiFi" amplifier module instructions.

The 'kits' were sold by Chartwell. Think what happened was they bought in far more 'bits' than they could sell complete - perhaps anticipating a BBC order.

Rogers KEF and Spendor also produced LS 3/5a.

I too have the Chartwell kit ones - in use in the bedroom, driven by a Linsey-Hood amp. Still sound stunning. And an ex OBs Rogers pair in the kitchen. Don't think anything better has been made in that size.

Falcon Acoustics have had the B110 LF unit re-made. About 200 quid for a matched pair. They also do a complete kit to make them to BBC spec. Never actually heard a pair, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The lack of resonances tended to give that impression - but in a decent room and correctly positioned they were good down to approx 40 Hz. As good if not better than most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK they won't quite do flap yer trousers bass, but what is there is reproduced and they do that very well still:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Yes excellent little speakers, use 'em for a computer sound channel here c/w Audiolab 8000A

Useful site..

tony sayer

Yep - it's the quiescent current. It seems to be a response to a question I asked when I found myself repairing one three years ago:-

Nice thought though :o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I bought a couple of these Maplin 50 watt amplifiers as both faulty. I repaired them both and they sound great.

Reply to
cresswellavenue

What was wrong then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

4 year old thread dug up by Google

Adrian C

That was my next question on the next thread as well. I do sometimes wonder what google are up to. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yep. I remember starting it!

Funnily enough, this is the second time it's been dredged up, and both by the same person. The last time was Feb 2013...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Reply to
christophergill203

i notice theres no diagrams which i was looking for will pay if i get it 0863946719 ireland

Reply to
christophergill203

I have cross-posted this to uk.rec.audio. They may well know.

Reply to
Huge

Adrian Caspersz

Did you notice the date of the mail? Its over 7 years old!!

Reply to
Woody

If that isn't it, it will be in another issue of 'Electronics - The Maplin Magazine', you just need to find out which one. Probably someone has back issues lying around, or a library has some. As I recall, the December issue of each year had an index of that year's articles, so it shouldn't be difficult to find.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I built one of those years ago in a fit of enthusiasm... alas at the time I had not costed what it would take to turn it into a fully integrated amp! ISTR buying the bits to make a PSU for just running a single power amp, and they cost more than the amp kit. (still I reused them making a bench PSU for my O level electronics project!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Adrian Caspersz

Bit confused what happened between 2010 and now. However, when I had this happen in a Memorex Amp it actually toasted one of the speakers.

As for the mode of failure, well, you only need a short across the output after all. I was always replacing the ICs in the old Sinclair IC12 amps as they had no protection at all on the outputs. Texas made the chips Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff