Many sharp intakes of breath

Today we had the first heating engineer in to quote for a new central heating boiler. Naturally, we have been doing some research. So the reality of this event was the cause of considerable wry amusement. Please imagine sharp intakes of breath through clenched teeth at any and every opportunity.

===== HE: Why are you changing your boiler? Us: Well, it is 17 years old. We don't want it to break down over the winter. It won't go on forever. HE: It might do. It could go on for years. I'm not really a very good salesman.

===== HE: Where were you thinking of having the boiler? Us: We had been thinking of putting the boiler in this cupboard. HE: Well, I'll put the boiler in the corner. Us: But why can't we have it in the cupboard like we said? HE: It's just not done like that these days. You always put it on an outside wall. Check by looking at your neighbours. Us: Well we can't actually see where the boilers are - only the flues!

===== HE: Do you want the quote for the boiler in the cupboard or in the corner. Us: Well, which would be more expensive? Give us that one and we will know the worst. HE: Where I intend to put it (in the corner) of course. Because I need to reroute all the pipework. Us: Why can't I have it in the cupboard? Because you'd need a flue across the wall. It would look awful. Us: Can't we box it in? HE: Well, yes, of course you can. But.... And you'd need a condensate drain as well. Nasty things. Could have the pipe going across under your window to the drain.

[No suggestion for burying or hiding this eyesore-to-be in the garden.]

===== HE: Worcester-Bosch are known for combis. Yea, well, they do make some other boilers now. But they're not really known for it. I could fit a Baxi-Potterton or an Ideal. They're all the same really. I could fit a W- B. They all cost the same.

[No way is a Poxi Batterton crossing our threshold!]

===== [Observed that a ½" gaspipe comes through floor and feeds existing boiler.] Us: Is 15 mm enough the gas supply? HE: Yes - it's enough if you don't have the combi.

[W-B literature appears to state that 12i & 24i boilers have 22mm fittings and the supply pipe must NOT be smaller than that. This is highly significant as the ½" gas pipe is buried in concrete and cannot easily be replaced.]

===== HE: Condensing are more expensive and unreliable. It's the, umm, technology.

===== HE (At every opportunity as an explanation for everything that might be wrong, could be expensive or is uncertain. And probably why it had just started to rain): Technology.

===== HE: If you'd done this before the 1st of April you wouldn't have had to have done this.

We are wondering what number two will be like...

Reply to
Rod

ROFL!!! They're normally all the same. You'll know the professional when he/she walks in through your front door. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Brillliant story, thanks!

I'm looing forward to Part 2

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Snap on that as well Mary. Part 2 should be more fun, now that Rod and co. have had some rehearsal time. LOL I loves a good larf me. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

And I've provided one - I'm not looing, I'm looking!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I missed it!!!! Funny how the brain and eyes don't work together sometimes. :-) In my case it's most of the time. LOL Had to read it two or three times before I got what you meant. :-)

Can this be classed as toilet humour? :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I'm disappointed in you! A golden opportunity to take a pop at me and you missed it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher