Manual "butterfly" or "grip" to slot onto 7mm hexagonal "bolt"

Sorry for the excessive "" in the title - I know I'm probably using the wro= ng terminology!

Son has a camera mount for his bike which is attached via a "bolt" which ti= ghtens up.

When it arrived, there was a plastic surround covering the hexagonal top of= the bolt so that it could be twisted and secured in place manually without= a tool.

However, he has subsequently bashed this on something and the plastic surro= und has snapped off, leaving just a bog standard "bolt" head, which fits in= to a 7mm socket. Any hints as to what I might need to search for to get so= me form of replacement head for this? =20

Cheers!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

terminology!

the bolt so that it could be twisted and secured in place manually without a tool.

has snapped off, leaving just a bog standard "bolt" head, which fits into a 7mm socket. Any hints as to what I might need to search for to get some form of replacement head for this?

remove bolt. file or carve a butterfly shaped thing out of wood use it to make a mould in plasticine Fill mould with car body filler and push the bolt head in remove plasticine and file/sand to perfect shape spray in lurid colours

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's called a wing bolt, you can get various sizes on eBay, but you will need to check the thread size (perhaps M4?)

If I were doing a manual replacement I would probably cut a slot in the head and silver solder something like a 1p or 5p coin into it. (OK, defacing coin of the realm and so forth).

Reply to
newshound

New bolt with an Allen head, then carry an Allen key with him (it's standard bike repair kit anyway).

This also avoid the problem with yet another spikey thing on your handlebars, waiting for you to crash.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

h tightens up.

Thanks all - as usual, sensible suggestions on a different tack than I was = thinking.

How do you measure the thread for something like this? It is a very narrow= packed thread on the bolt itself.

I'd agree about the allen key fitting if it weren't for the fact that this = is on the bike of a 12 year old who hasn't yet learned that taking tools wi= th him is a good idea!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

packed thread on the bolt itself.

on the bike of a 12 year old who hasn't yet learned that taking tools with him is a good idea!

Most bikes are metric or UNF. Probably metric.

Measure shank dia and estimate threads per inch and look it up.

Heres something I found that might be useful

The Natural Philosopher

packed thread on the bolt itself.

is on the bike of a 12 year old who hasn't yet learned that taking tools with him is a good idea!

That's great, thanks - I'd found their site previously but not that section. Something in there is bound to fit!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

I think that it is no longer illegal to do so. Hence the appearance of those machines at various museums and the like, where you pay 50p to squeeze a 1p or 2p coin between rollers and elongate it.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I don't think they do.

1p and 2p coins have been plated steel these days and that would be quite hard. However I have never taken one apart.
Reply to
dennis

They definitely do - the kids love them.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

terminology!

the bolt so that it could be twisted and secured in place manually without a tool.

has snapped off, leaving just a bog standard "bolt" head, which fits into a 7mm socket. Any hints as to what I might need to search for to get some form of replacement head for this?

Mail order,

F Murtz

Brilliant site! bookmarked...

Reply to