Manometer

Nope its mains gas. I must admit that I am working from memory as I installed it 20 years ago. I am not taking the covers off just to look at the rating plate to check it was 28mBar but it was either that or 18 mBar. It doesn't actually matter in this thread.

Its easy to blow the water out of the manometer as the cheap regulators fitted to the meters don't react very quickly and the pressure can overshoot if you just wrench the gas tap around.

Reply to
dennis

I rarely use _propane_ at 2 bar!

(OK, so I do -- but I'm usually wearing the full leather outfit and the flameproof undies when I do)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Agreed. Things like the difference between standing pressure and working pressure are covered in the GasFitting FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Apparently they do now on new developments. However it is still 21 mbar above atmospheric presssure when it comes out of the meter.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You're getting confused between what are called "gauge" and "absolute" pressures in my working environment. "Gauge" pressure is the pressure difference between the inside of your pipe and the atmospheric pressure in the working environment ; "absolute" pressure is the pressure difference between the inside of your pipe and a vacuum. To illustrate the difference between the two ... look at the wheels of the next aircraft you see. See all the pipes running around. Far more than you'd need for just the disc brakes. That's because the tyres need to have their pressure regulated actively during flight between sea-level atmospheric pressure (0.1MPa absolute) and cruising altitude (typically under 0.05MPa absolute) so that they maintain a constant internal pressure of around 0.2MPa gauge above their environment. Which involves pumping air in and out during flight. Hmmm, maybe that's not as clear to you as it is to me. Watch the tyres change shape (get a window seat below the wing spar) while you're climbing or descending - you'll see them changing shape while your ears are popping.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

The traditional situation has always been that generally, most domestic prems are fed using the low pressure distribution network which is your typical 30mbar'ish supply. There was some limited use of medium pressure supplies in certain instances.

In recent years the growth of medium pressure deomestic supplies has become more apparent. This is usually due to housing developments in areas which where previously outlying and closer to an MP supply than a LP supply. In such situations, a developemtn would be fed with a MP supply (up to 75mb) and instead of a normal LP regulator, a MP to LP regulator and overpressure safety device is fitted. This setup can only be installed in an external meterbox.

It is not the norm to feed a dometic premise with anything more than

75mb.

Larger commerical/industrial users can be fed with supplies usually up to 7 Bar or more in exceptional circumstances.

Generally, in urban environments, distribution and transmission mains and above ground equipment exists which run at pressures upto 20Bar (400psi).

Considering the haphazard way that road workers sometimes operate, one can only assume that they are unaware of the dangers which lurk beneath our feet and on our doorsteps.

Even a damaged MP (75mb) main would cause a fairly major incident in an urban environment but a damage to a 7Bar or 20Bar main would be a major incident indeed!

tarquinlinbin