Manhole channel

At the final manhole leaving our garden (there are 8 in all) the join between the channel and the outlet pipe is broken and often causes matter to snag resulting in a blockage. Probably 3 times a year I have to get the rods out to clear it!

The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in the broken area.

Any bright ideas appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

shovel and pick?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is this an old approx 3' square manhole, a smaller built one, a modern plastic 2' dia "access chamber"?

For the 3' sq man hole lower in a ladder or folded set of steps? But once down there lack of space to work will probably be the major problem together with blocking your own light.

2' round plastic thing dig a hole next to it... but 6' deep might get unstable so shoring up maybe required.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Six-foot pole? Will need some dexterity.

Scrape out any crud. Drop a gollop of mortar down. Push it into place and tamp down.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

A small child suspended by their feet.

Alternatively, a dwarf Polish builder.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Then do it again next year as that is a serious bodge.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Well, yes, but once a year is better than three times a year :-)

Reply to
News

Check your buildings insurance, damage to drainage may be covered.

Reply to
pcb1962

Just Googled for a dwarf Polish builder and came up with this!

"A Polish building contractor working at London's Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital was given his marching orders after a security guard caught him having sex with a Henry Hoover, the Sun reports. The Henry Hoover The unnamed perv was supposed to be locking up the site, at hospital admin offices, but was instead discovered ?"

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It's an old Approx. 650mm x 500mm brick built chamber with a cast cover. Certainly no room to bend over if I were to climb in.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I have considered something along these lines, perhaps using a bit of round plastic guttering screwed to the end of a pole to smooth it off. But what would be the best material to use? Something quick setting would be a bonus.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Therefore hire a large, heavily loaded van.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Sometimes there are no shortcuts, yes you can bodge for a while with lumps of mortar , but really you should just dig a hole (remember shoring ) and replace/repair the joint then backfill .

If you can prove it is someone else's fault they will need to pay but if it is on your property and you can't show someone else was at fault you are SOL and will be liable. IANAL so ICBW

Whilst doing this you could listen to:-

soup

Do you think that the fix is quick *if* you have good access? If so, renting a mini-digger for a day might be the best option if there's room on the surface for it.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Can a mini-digger dig a trench 6 feet deep? I'd have thought you'd need quite a big one for that.

Reply to
pcb1962

Nice idea, I hired one a couple of years ago that could, but unfortunately this manhole is in a confined area :-( Which is a shame as I quite enjoyed playing with it last time:-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

If you swung the jib from side to side it wouldn't be a confined area any more :)

Owain

Reply to
Owain