Makro mini compressor any good?

Hi All,

I saw in a mates Makro mail thing today what looks like a portable compressor (looks a bit like one of those narrow watering cans) for 50 odd quid + etc?

I wondered if anyone had seen / tried one yet and if it would be any good for blowing the dust out of PC PSUs (outside the house) and cases etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Much better is a vacuum cleaner set on blow.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hmm, there's an idea ... not sure it would have the inensity of a fine air-line nozzle but worth a go...

When I saw the 'Family' brand (?) compressor kit in the Makro mail I forgot to mention the line was 'new' and on 'special' from the 29th onwards so maybe folk haven't seen it yet?

I was going to suggest my local PC shop got one (as they get through air cans quite fast) and don't have a vacuum cleaner for suck or blow (but I'm sure could fine one easily ..)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I wonder if they have thought about the health implications of blowing lots of fine dust up into the air that their workers are breathing... OK it's not asbestos but fine dust is not generally considered to be a good thing to breath.

I've also heard it rumoured that a power tool type compressed air line is capable of blowing surface mount components of a board.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've heard this too, and can tell you it just isn't true. I run my compressor at 10bar, which is as high as any garage compressor is normally run. Even with a fine nozzle blow gun, I've never, *ever* managed to blow a component off a board, even when trying to do so on purpose.

I use mine routinely for cleaning electronic gear and PCs. Your point about dust is a good one. Nor only from the 'breathing in' aspect, but also from the 'cover the whole place in dust' aspect. I clean things outside.

Reply to
Grunff

Fairy Nuff, does that include large devices possibly only fixed along one edge like connectors? I can see it would have to be a very poorly attached chip R or C to get blown off.

Probably more valid, but outside needs reasonable weather. I guess a simple fume cupboard type enclosure would be best inside so that the dust is transported outside through the extract system.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice