makita sparking?

Hi-

I've just bought a Makita 6228D 14.4v drill/screwdriver (chargeable battery powered).

I haven't had a Makita before, and got it due to a lot of positive comments I've read on the net.

Anyway, just noticed that when I press the button I can see it sparking from within the unit through the grill holes in the main body (if you can understand what I mean....).

Do you know if this is normal? or is it a dodgy unit?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

In general, you will see sparks from any commutated motor. It's harmless. Smoke is bad.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Sounds like the sparking you get where the brushes make contact with the commutator. As long as the drill runs ok and sounds ok, this is nothing to worry about. It may well reduce after a while as the brushes wear in.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Flames too.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On 19 Jul 2004 14:02:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jim) strung together this:

It's normal. All drills, (and anything with a motor in), will do it, it's just that you can't always see it. The sparks you are seeing are arcs between the brushes and commutator, unless they're great big splashes of blue smokey stuff then there's no panic.

Reply to
Lurch

Any machine running on magic smoke will fail if the smoke escapes. ;-)

Reply to
nog