Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise (2023 Update)

Hi,

My drill (8443 combi) arrived last week and I am thrilled to bits with it. It is by far the best drill I have had the pleasure to hold in my hand.

The only doubt I have about this drill is the noise that seems to come from the chuck.

In high speed mode with the drill spinning freely as soon as the trigger is let go and the drill stops spinning it does so with a series of clunks. Almost like the noise you get from an impact drill driver. This happens every single time in high speed mode and in low speed mode I can hear the electric brake operating and there is no such noise.

The noise is particularly alarming when the drill rotating direction is alternated the and the same pressing and letting go of the trigger performed.

  1. The noise is not the same ratcheting sound made when tightening the chuck
  2. The noise happens even if there is a bit in the chuck.
  3. Changing from hammer to drill only mode has no effect.
  4. As far as i can tell the noise is not come from the clutch but only from the chuck.
  5. I have not used it on anything yet apart from just a few 4" screws.

If others have the same drill please can you comment on whether this is just part of the drills make up or whether mine may have a problem with it. As i bought it online I'd like to know what others think before contacting the company.

As always thank you all for your help.

Reply to
Quddus

Hmmm. I have the same drill. The only noise I hear as it stops is the chuck lock, which is pretty much a single clunk. I don't think it's any louder when stopping at high speed.

So what happens is the electronic brake stops the drill spinning, then a mechanical lock engages to stop the chuck from turning (so you can change the bit with one hand).

You say a series of clunks, and this sounds odd. Are they quick clunks? How many of them?

Reply to
Grunff

there is a definite difference in the noise from the chuck on my drill at the two different speeds. The low speed one comes to a smooth stop whereas in higher speed it more of stutters and clunks to a stop. See the clips below...

The clunks are very quick in sucession and there are about three. please view the audio and video and see what you think. I should warn you that the video is about 3 megs but the audio is pretty small.

The two files can be found at the above page.

Cheers.

Reply to
Quddus

bounces a little when stopping from higher speed, hence the more noticeable clicking.

FWIW, my old Bosch which also had auto chuck lock used to make a far more alarming noise.

Reply to
Grunff

Yup, my Bosch makes a louder and more alarming noise than that, too. Don't seem like anything to worry about.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Phew!!! Thanks for clearing that up and putting my mind at ease. Ive not owned a auto spindle lock drill before and hence my concern with the new "noise". I thought it must be something to do with the chuck but never thought that such a noise would be standard on a high end drill.

If my new drill made a noise louder than the makita then I would have panicked and taken it straight to the A&E.... errr i mean supplier..... :-)

Reply to
Quddus

My new makita xhp14 makes a nasty noise too , brand freaking new, I hope its normal

Reply to
seanyboy

This is the perfect description of my problem with my brand new Makita xph14

Reply to
Evans

Most drills with a single handed keyless chuck will make a noise when you stop at speed abruptly. It it is the automatic spindle lock kicking in.

Reply to
John Rumm