Makita 6270 DWPE3 Drill & Free Impact Driver 12V

Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

?pf_id=459508&name=makita&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=12

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

the hand. It's quiet which gives the impression that it's not powerful but it's fine. It does look a good deal. I do prefer De Walt's one-handed keyless chuck and eventuallly bought one of theirs but that was at this price for one (combi) drill. I've never used an impact driver and would be interested to see what other people think of 'em.

Reply to
blackbat

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

drill but the impact driver is a wonderful piece of kit. For your decking screws you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. For a 4" inch screw into 4 x 2 it doesn't even slow down.

Be prepared though, you can use up the screw bits quicker than with a normal driver. They tend to break rather than wear out. Go and buy a tub of 25 pz2 and pz3 bits while you're out shopping ;-) Oh - and make sure they're the longer bits (50mm I think) rather than the more common 25mm bits which don't fit the impact driver.

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:20:07 +0100, "The Medway Handyman" mused:

I've got a cheap PPP 12V impact driver and that has done well. My mate was impressed so he's now got the aforementioned Makita twin pack. The impact driver body only is around 80 quid so by the time you've bought the charger and batteries you're already over the price of the combo kit, so the other drill is effectively a freebie so IMO it's performance and quality aren't too important.

Reply to
Lurch

That's what I was hoping for! How do the batteries last? I notice they are only 1.3 a/hr. Granted with 3 it shouldn't be a problem.

I tend to use those 50mm bits anyway. Shorter ones don't fit inside curtain rail brackets & a host of other things.

Wickes do packs of 15 for about £4? They also do 3 x titanium for £3 maybe they would be best.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No it shouldn't. I have the 14.4v version and it will manage continuous screwdriving with two batteries. Three is certainly not a problem.

The Wiha and Wera ones sold by Screwfix and others are well worth the extra. In terms of screws/£ almost certainly less expensive than the cheap bulk ones.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I haven't done any jobs with lots of use so can't really say, but yes with three batteries and an approx 45minute charge I haven't been too worried about it.

I've been getting Makita, 25x50mm Pz3 for £8, they seem to be somewhere in the middle range.

Hth

Reply to
somebody

As you may recall I asked a very similar question a couple of months ago. I bought this set and have very impressed. I've used both drivers extensively whilst building a fortress/command post in the garden for the kids and as Someone says above 4" screws just go straight in with the impact driver. The drill is very nice to use - very controlable and plenty od oompth. The impact driver does seem to get through the batteries quicker than the drill/driver but with three I never ran out of juice.

I would also echo the comments about the driver bits - they do get eaten by the impact driver. I've had both the diamond and gold bits from Screwfix shatter but currently a set from Wickes seem to be holding up OK.

I don't think you will regret getting the set although I did see that they are currently doing a similar deal but with an angle drill instead of an impact driver which may also be of interest.

With the combination of the set and the Makita Jigsaw I bought before Xmas I am certainly converted to the pleasantness of using good power tools. Now if I could only afford a nice sliding mitre saw I would be a happy bunny.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

I tend to use the same Wiha diamond bits in the clickfix magnetic holder with the impact driver, and they hold up reasonably well. As you say, when they do go they tend to shatter or fall apart. The trick is to not let them rattle about in the screw head too much, even though the impact driver requires less pressure to drive the screw it is still worth using enough to prolong the bit life.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've used the Wiha ones and been very disapointed - they shattered in use. They seem very brittle. The plain steel ones are much better value for money. At £2:49 each the Wiha don't last anything like as long as 25 cheapos from Wickes @ £3:99.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Its their hardness that means they don't lose the edges so rapidly, and you can get a decent grip on the screws for longer. Much does depend on finding screws that match the bits well though. Wiha diamond bits and screwfix quicksilver seem to work very well together - I can have a single bit last months that way.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which screws types and manufacturer are you using?

Reply to
Andy Hall

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in news:f0v74r$aau$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

- good for decking screws.

I guess you didn't get any sentence reduction for goo behaviour, then.

mike

Reply to
mike

Screwfix Turbo Gold & Wickes Decking Screws

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Current interweb joke;

I went into B&Q today, and a man in orange & black overalls said "do you want decking"? Luckily I got the first punch in.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You are not allowed to assault retards:)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I bought, after talk on this group, the Ryobi to check the Impact drivers out. Well pleased. It is 18v and powerful. Get the charger and two batteries. I rarely use a drill/driver anymore. The Impact Driver does it all. It is so small it acts as an angle drill using stubby auger and flat bits drilling through joists.

I would rather buy one 18v Impact Driver than a 12V Impact driver and drill/driver for the same price, as the drill/driver will not be used much, if at all, once you have an 18V Impact driver.

Reply to
timegoesby

What a lot of nonsense.

There is no way in hell that an impact driver can replace all of the functionality of a drill/driver unless one is *only* doing constructional framing and exterior deck work.

It's even more ridiculous to buy anything from Techtronics Ryobi.

TTK's Milwaukee brand is acceptable for sensible use, but that is the only one in their stable that is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You clearly have not used one. I recall you and others here never knew what an Impact Driver was about 12 to 18 months ago. The threads that resulted prompted me to try one out. Well please and a must have tool.

Mine works great and takes lots of abuse.

Reply to
timegoesby

Yes I have. It is suitable for framing and exterior work.

Incorrect.

There are three types.

- The traditional type that is hit by a hammer

- Pneumatic type

- Cordless type

If you are doing constructional work.

Yes....