Makita 14.4V Combi Drill on offer - opinion please?

Hi

I am an occasional diy-er and would like a new cordless drill to replace an old 7V Bosch. Robert Dyas has the Makita 8280 Combi Drill on offer for =A399.99 (inc extra battery and accessory set):

this a good model and offer?

David

Reply to
DavidA

No, because I was at a Screwfix trade counter on Tuesday last week and they had the 18V Makita Combi Drill with three batteries on offer for £99.99.

It's on the Screwfix front page.

you're in the market for a Makita (and they are extremely good drills) then go for this offer, not the Dyas one.

I've actually got an 18V Ryobi which has done me well for several years. That's also on offer at Screwfix, for £99.99 but IMO it's not such a good deal. Ryobi aren't as strong as Makita. The bonus with Ryobi is that all Ryobi One tools use the same batteries which are LiIon, not NiMH like the Makita, but if you've not got an investment in other Ryobi tools then there's nothing to push you in that direction.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Makita are goot.

IIRC Screwfix are doing a Makita 18V drill with 3 batteries for £100, but it'll probably be bulkier (as well as more powerful) than the 14.4V version.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Makita are a top quality make & the 8280 is a great machine, it will do everything you want & more. I use mine day in day out, great ergonomics, really powerful. I expect it to outlast me :-)

Only letdown is the chuck occasionally slips, which is only a mild niggle really.

Makita battery chargers are excellent too.

Excellent price as well. You can't go wrong with that deal.

It is a fair bit heavier, 2.3kg instead of 1.7kg.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But thats not hammer action

Reply to
George

Thanks for reposting an entire post in order to add a one-liner. However you're wrong whichever drill you were referring to. Both the Makita and the Ryobi are hammer action drills.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Can't really fault it at the price, although be aware they are only the

1.3Ah cells. Nothing stopping you replacing them with 2.6Ah ones later though when the time comes.
Reply to
John Rumm