Making upvc windows more secure?

A friend has been broken into, the intruder forced something between the window frame and an opening window, wedged it up, then the window could be pulled open. The latches for this window are two, what look like bolt heads, which slide into slots (top and bott.) on the frame. Obviously there is enough play in the window frame to allow the window to be pulled open when it is bent up/out.

Has anyone ever tried to increase the security of these windows? I've looked at Screwfix's offerings, but there doesnt seem to be much choice, and I'm unsure as to what would be suitable. Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Shoot bolt locks would be more secure -- they are usually an extra charge option with double glazing (but not much extra). Don't know how easily they can be retrospectively fitted. However, with a big enough wrecking bar, nothing much will help...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

FBD

(F**king Big Dog)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

After our FBD died, I kept her old toys, including the well gnawed half cow-leg bone. Placed strategically where potential burglar would see them through the window.

Never had a problem until they got accidentally disposed of by a mad house cleaning droid. Then we got burgled! (Pushed the panel out of the BS-etc-etc five-point locked UPVC front door!)

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow