Making small ladders

Wood rots. Even the best kept wood can deteriorate if left outdoors for long enough.

I feel through a wooden ladder a couple of years ago, and dislocated

2 toes...

right-hand picture is the 'before' picture. Before the doc. reset them that is!)

Very very painful.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Ouch! It hurts just to look at that!

2009. Have you had any trouble with your feet since, as a result of that?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

ICBW but I thought the wire was to stop the uprights being pulled apart rather than to support?

Reply to
fred

couple of

ICBW as well but I thought the wire was to stop you crashing down through all the rungs when one suddenly broke (rot or WHY) and you dropped the foot or so onto the one below which couldn't take the shock, so breaks, dropping you a foot onto the one below etc...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, it does both.

NT

Reply to
NT

It certainly worked that way.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've seen wooden ladders with the wires every five rungs or so, so I would think they are mainly to stop the stiles spreading and thereby releasing all the rungs in one go. Not that it should happen on a well maintained and properly inspected ladder. On one made the way I described, the runs can only pull out if the wedges come out, which should be obvious.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar