making new joists look old

I've screwed and glued pairs of 3x3s of old pallet wood together for joists,

Rather than plane them and paint them how do pubs make their new beams look old?

I'm thinking anglegrinder with what kind of disks?

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

I've screwed and glued pairs of 3x3s of old pallet wood together for joists,

Rather than plane them and paint them how do pubs make their new beams look old?

I'm thinking anglegrinder with what kind of disks?

Jigsaw and imagination. Randomly carve the edges off at irregular intervals and depths to give a rustic look. Paint matt black

Drill a hole here and there too and square it out with a chisel to look like an old hinge mount.

Reply to
Nthkentman

An adze.

polygonum

Quite badly IMO. It is usually not difficult to tell the difference between genuine old timber and distressed modern timber.

However, if you really want to do it, one way is to get a hand plane, shape the blade so that it is convex, set it quite proud of the face and take random cuts at the surface, to try to replicate adze marks. Light sand blasting will also raise the grain, which will help the effect. If you want to replicate worm holes use a combination of small drills and a lino cutting gouge, which can be used to make it look like the worm ate its way out at an angle. Don't forget a few mortice holes in totally useless places, if you want to make it look like reclaimed timber. End up with a good beating with a metal chain (the wood not you) to add random nicks and gouges. Then all you need to do is find a good combination of stains and varnishes, which are best tested on scrap first, to see what effect they will give. Multiple light coats will give a better aged effect than one thick coat.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

They buy them preformed made out of foam plastic...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ancient TV sketch. Men doing as you describe to make a piece of furniture look like an antique. Interviewer: And how long have you been doing that? Workman: A hundred years.

Reply to
polygonum

ancient Punch cartoon. Antique shop proprietor sticking his head into the workshop "Mr Smithers, I'm having a twinge of conscience; would you mind changing your name to Chippendale?"

Reply to
charles

polygonum wrote: [snip]

There's an old film with Brian Rix as an antique dealer. A customer removes a drawer from a sideboard that Rix assures him is genuinely old to reveal a stamp on the wood that reads "Tate & Lyle". Rix tries to convince him that this is the mark of the carpenter Tatie of Lille.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not that I am advocating this exact method - but a mate of mine also made some "aged" beams from heavy pallets.

He smoothed them, beat them up (hammer, bits of iron etc), made some fake woodworm holes with a hammer and panel pin.

The final effect was diluting some black gloss with petrol (you could use white spirit or water as suits the paint) then ragging it on roughly. The effect was more or a stained timber with much uneveness and it looked like it had been there forever.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes - hugely sad. Tap some next time you are in an "antique" pub.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Could you just have a bit of hack with a real adze? And a shave hook (or spoke hook) to knock the corners off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

our local was 'antiqued' by the then landlord just after the "great storm" using timber that had suddenly become available. Trouble was it wasn't seasosned, so great airgaps appeared above tehbem He used aerosol foam to fill these gaps.

Reply to
charles

+1

One of the many giveaways is the "six inch square beam" formed of three planks. Or bits of palette...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I could, but not everybody can use an adze without endangering a limb or two.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Blood will darken it nicely.

Reply to
polygonum

Angle grinder with wire brush on it helps.

Reply to
F Murtz

A judiciously used flapwheel can make fake "adze" marks. The raise the grain you can use a power wire brush (flat is better than cup type.) You can buy a fitting for the angle grinder that has chain saw type teeth on the periphery for wood carving.

A lot of fake pub "olde worlde" beams are fibre glass.

Reply to
harry

Blowlamp & wire brush.

Reply to
Phil

Not sure what charring has to do with age

Reply to
stuart noble

accelerated darkening

But i prefer stain