Making low cost hand cleaner

Probably more so than WD40.

Reply to
<me9

Don't use on electronics ...

Reply to
geoff

Especially considering how much gets spilt decanting and refilling bottles and the grief and waste of materials cleaning up.

If folks really are that short of money I'd bet a pound against a piece of shit that Superdrug will do an own brand.

Here's a really revolutionary idea. Buy a block of the very best quality neutral soap (Oilatum, or Simple Soap, etc. no cosmetic crap ) at a cost of about £2.50 and use that. I did in January and it's only about 25% used. For stubborn black grease I use a tiny drop of 100% branded washing up liquid finally washing again with the toilet soap.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I remember when I was a child, and my family first switched from bar to liquid soap. I would occasionally pound the nozzle down quickly, to see how far I could shoot the soap across the bathroom. Kids are easily amused.

Reply to
Coffee's For Closers

True but even a 1/4 press gives you too much, metering to small quantities is even harder.

Take old empty dispenser, transfer 50% of the contents of a new dispenser to the old, top both up with water, invert a few times, 5 mins at the *very* most.

We have kids. Even though they are "sensible" asking them to meter out less than 1/2 a push would be beyound their co-ordination. The plastic sleeve idea is interesting but it would take much longer to find, split and fit suitable bit of plastic tube. I certainly can't think of anything I have that would be suitable. Bear in mind that I'm of the "If I haven't found a use for it yet, I've not kept it long enough" school or thought.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I find a bit of neat washing up liquid does just as well on the oily/greasey stuff one would be using swarfega on.

You need to be a member but they have to basic classes of member "trade" where you have to show that you are "in business" or "individual" where membership is open to "professional people". Individual members are restricted as to when they can shop, like not in the mornings.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Me too. Picked that tip up on a building site many moons ago. Always plenty of white sugar available in the site hut in them days

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes, and ajax or washing powder works for the rest in an emergency...

I've got some Goop in the 'shop that you smear on 'dry' (it's a paste, smells of oranges) and then wash off, and it's incredibly good for really stubborn grease/dirt. Not sure if they sell it in the UK though, although I'm sure there's an equivalent.

I used to love the smell of swarfega as a kid.

Reply to
Jules

Frightening to use the Gents toilets and see how many men don't wash their hands - even when leaving the crapper. Noticed in supermarkets and pubs. Ugh!

Would be great to be brave enough to follow them back to their female companion and point it out to them!

Reply to
John

I would guess that something called bubble bath would cost more than something called dishwashing liquid.

Fairy liquid?

The sugar is used as an abrasive?

I bought a gallon of Permatex Fast Orange hand-cleaner with pumice for a buck at a yard sale a couple of years ago.

Reply to
The Real Bev

From some of the gents' crappers I've seen, most hands would be cleaner before using the sink than after unless there's some magical way of dispensing green soap and turning on a faucet without actually touching it.

Does HRM still put that wax-paper-like toilet paper in the public loos? You know, the stuff with 'Property of the Queen' printed in red on each sheet.

Thereby opening you up to the accusation of hanging around men's rooms and ogling the users. Probably not a good idea.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Can you get anything out when the container is nearly empty?

We have kids too. It's difficult to pursuade them to use soap at all ;-)

Reply to
Mark

We used to add sugar to fairy liquid. Works great when cleaning hands after working on the car.

Reply to
Mark

This is **UK**.d-i-y. We spell it paraffin this side of the pond!

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Which is strange, as in the States IIRC all sorts of riff-raff are invited in - anyone can get a card subscription. Would like to know the reasoning behind this for the UK stores.

Reply to
Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Most pumps on these bottles are of poor quality as there's only 1 valve, so some travel and speed on the return is needed to draw up the soap. Small presses don't allow the ball to seat. I'd love to get some 2-valve pumps that would fit bottles but I've never seen any.

Reply to
PeterC

Lower class riff raff in the UK? They can use Makro...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With the 50 to 70% dilution? Yes, no problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why would you want to? A few germs are good for you, especially if you have young children whose immune systems need training.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q