Making jigs for Trend CRT Mk2 router table

I'm making some horizontal feather boards for use with this table. In the book I'm reading, to fix the feather boards in place, a wooden strip is made and threaded metal inserts are added. This strip fits into the mitre channel and is cramped at each end.

This arrangement seems OK in the book example because the mitre channel there is 3/8" deep (though even this seem minimal). On the Trend table the mitre channel is only 1/4" deep which doesn't provide a lot of depth for screwing down into.

I could add height to the strip but this would raise the feather board above the height of some small work pieces. It would also leave the feather board rocking in the air, unless I turn the strip into a T section, which might produce other problems. Can anyone offer suggestions, other than buying the official Trend accessory?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack