Making Hands Happy

On Monday I did rather a lot of digging/scraping and at the end of the day found a very unpleasant blister right in the centre of my palm - despite wearing gloves.

Used a plaster and carried on yesterday but it was getting worse.

Round lunchtime, partner reminded me we had some Compeed (required by her very sore feet in Paris several years ago) - so I slapped one on. Gloves as well. Left it on overnight and all today. Despite intensive work, and doing the ironing, cooking and dishwashing, the blistering has much improved. Amazed it stayed in excellent condition for that time. Will put another one on tomorrow.

Thought it might just help anyone with a similar problem. And it seems more likely that those of us who do not do manual things all the time will be more likely to suffer when we do.

(I know that there are special versions intended for use on hands. But we didn't have any handy. :-) )

Reply to
Rod

On 17 Sep, 22:52, Rod wrote: . Despite intensive

She's working you too hard!

Reply to
Tim Decker

Its the wood I tell ya...started getting blister when I first come to blows with plastering,the trowel had a wooden handle and I bought a newin with a rubber handle, blister was still there for a few days but the rubber handled trowel never gave me the grief of the wooden handle one did.

I'm not saying get a rubber handled spade :-) but put insulation tape around the area where the hand grips it most.

Reply to
George

Trick is to change gloves several times - have different styles. They will rarely press in the same place, and so a blister is less likely. Either that, or the next set of gloves will be agony by scraping on the blister you didn't realise you had ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

But I've only got one pair! Eventually found some that fitted me well and are genuinely comfortable and seamless. Even got grippy-rubber on the palms which makes them feel even better!

(Slight lie, I liked the one pair so much, I bought a second identical pair the other day - £1-99 seemd pretty reasonable to me.)

Reply to
Rod

B&Q were selling a bundle of gloves for a cheapo price (they hung them by the tills don't-you-know !) So I've got a cotton pair with grippy dots, a leather pair, an acid-resist pair, etc. Anyway, why is it the blister never starts hurting until you look at it ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson