Making good after plumber

We are part way through having our utility room and bathroom fitted with new porcelain.

The plumber has removed the old wash hand basin and uncovered an area where there were tiles before. This wall was originally emulsion painted at new and the paint has been ripped off leaving a step of 0.015 inch or

0.38 mm.

How can I make good this step?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Something like Polyfilla, probably; what's the surface (ie, below the paint?) and what final surface finish are you wanting? Are you tiling it again? (If so, don't worry about the step, it won't be apparent at all).

David

Reply to
Lobster

I was hoping that you wouldn't say this :-( I was hoping that someone would say, 'use xxx paint' and everything will be OK. I am useless at plastering, though I can do most of everything else.

The plaster is fine, but as the new wash hand basin is about half a tile lower than the old one and the cabinet that will go above that will sit in its original position, I am bothered about the area that sits outside of this.

Taking another look at this, I see what you mean. Two tiles high and just enough to overlap each side will cover the problem. :-)

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

TBH no matter how crap at plastering you are, especially if it's a small area you'll be able to get perfectly satisfactory results by polyfilla'ing it a bit proud, then sanding down the surface afterwards when dry - then repeat ad nauseam if need be, until the surface is OK. Bloody messy, and any pro would laugh his socks off, but any muppet can do that and get a reasonable result. (I know I have :-) )

David

Reply to
Lobster

Use polyskim, and a sander to get everything smooth before painting.

I too am useless at plastering, but I can produce a perfect surface with filler and a snander...comes of a misspent youth fixing old cars...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher