Making Copper Sulphate Crystals

Commonly available dirt cheap at farmers' supply places; known as 'bluestone'.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I believe that if you unscrew your bellybutton, your bum falls off, but I've never tried it.

Reply to
Jim S

To which the question, Why? has to be submitted to the person who did it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed, but there are far worse examples of conceptual modern art.

At least this guy actually *did* something to make his artwork unlike some unmade beds or used ash trays I could mention.

I probably will go and take a look at the copper sulphate crystal room sometime when I am passing the Yorkshire sculpture museum.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's worth it, like I said, we all (from 10 to 70+ liked it).

It was more work than they intended as well.

Apparently the flats were to be demolished, which would have made removal of it easier. Then plans changed, so they had to remove the thing whole from the building.

Reply to
Chris French

Except that it's not art. Something is only art if I decide that it is. And of course someone else may decide that something I decide is not art, is. And vice versa. The point here being that art is in the eye of the beholder, not of the creator of the work. I accept that it is a work and that it has been created, but that has nothing to do with whether it's art or not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That might be *your* definition of art, but in general terms you can class as art something that is beautiful, imaginative, novel or striking in some other way and took real skill or dexterity to make.

I draw the line at a gross of fire bricks in a rectangle that is only "high art" because of the name of the man who put them there (Andre).

ISTR the Tate valued them so highly that they managed to lose them in the intervening decades since it first went on display!

Ditto for unmade beds and full ash trays (the latter seriously devalued after being emptied by an over zealous cleaner who didn't recognise the piece as an actual "art" exhibit). There was a POS neon sign at last years RA exhibition that was so poorly made that any neon sign writer would have been embarrassed by it - the price tag £45k or thereabouts.

Reply to
Martin Brown