making a smooth surface on Anaglypta wallpaper

My daughter has rung up good old Dad to ask if there is any way of treating an Anaglypta paper so as to produce a flat surface for painting. She thinks she has seen something on one of the TV makeover progs. I have said it would be easier to simply remove the paper but because of the size of the job, she is trying to avoid that.

Have the panel any ideas please? Dinky

Reply to
Dinkydi

I'll bet what she has seen is an expert skimming over artex. Personally I'd rather remove the artex but the walls might still need a skim of plaster if they are really bad so you are back where you started.

Removing paper is easy. Really easy. Even I can strip a room and sand the walls in under a day. Steamers are cheap and very effective. Today I steamed off a layer of disgusting artex from a large ceiling and managed to clean up before the kids got home from school.

Strip the paper off. You know it makes sense.

Reply to
Vera

Why not just paint the paper? We have 1930s anaglypta in our sitting room, it's been painted so often that it's now very low relief but we're fond of it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for the comments which I have copied across to daughter. I think she is now going to strip the paper. Dinky

Reply to
Dinkydi