Making a ruin into something habitable.

You really have not a clue. Pointless?? Between the wars all towns and cities were full of squalid Victorian slums. There were still there into the 1970s. I clearly remember them. These new homes were giving people a better life rather than in a slum with 3 families sharing one toilet.

Reply to
IMM

Well it would, but no party would be brave enough to do this. The reason that even Mrs T wouldn't privatise the post is that a private sector postal service would want to charge something like 20p for letters from London to other cities and perhaps £1 (which IIRC is the real cost) for letters to outlying rural areas. Look at the outcry now from rural places that can't get broadband and think it their entitlement to have it even if it is a money loser for the supplier.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

tb> I plan to retire to a 25th floor flat in Melbourne city centre. tb> The huge attraction to me will be having so much within walking tb> distance - owning a car would be pointless.

Indeed, so it is not the fact that it is high rise which is important. If anything, that is a price you are willing to pay for the access to things, the services provided and so on. That was all I was saying.

Reply to
Richard Caley

a> Parks, next to Power Station's, etc. most of the country is open green a> fields. This would result in all green areas in cities being concreted over.

s> Which results in them becoming less popular, which results in lower s> prices, which results in uneconomic structures, which are torn down s> and - grassed over....

By observation, it results in them being pulled down and left to grow rats until someone decides to build a car park.

In general I am against strong planning and associated laws, the two exceptions are some kind of very basic structural planning -- keeping some level of open space in cities is one example, planned transport links is another -- and perhaps some level of compulrpory purchase for very extreme cases.

Of course, both will always end up being abused, but so will lack of them.

Reply to
Richard Caley

NO the sane solution demolition and build new well laid out towns, Which happened to a degree to great success.

The slums went!!

Reply to
IMM

The north west of England is rising. Look at maps of 20 years ago and now . Today the River Mersey has become smaller and the River Dee about half the size.

Reply to
IMM

"IMM" wrote | Or you could let people build where they like, as long as not in | National Parks, next to Power Station's, etc.

If people built next to power stations, that would lessen the transmission losses in the electricity network which would be more energy efficient and so environmentally friendly.

There would also not be pylons all over the country and the opportunity for more district heating schemes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Local power stations were the norm in this country. In Sweden they still have them and supply district heating. But they still pollute and much of this falls on the surrounding town. They are only suitable for natural gas.

Reply to
IMM

Milton Keynes is a great success and came way after Bracknell learnin the mistakes of other new towns.

That is a disgusting derogatory remark aimed the aspiring working classes. Another is condemnation of the Essex man (of working class culture and makes a lot of money), which is pure jealousy.

Reply to
IMM

Both are concrete, soulless places, completely lacking in character.

What working classes? That is an outmoded label in itself which has little meaning any longer.

I didn't say that I necessarily agreed with the comment, but the fact remains that living environments become what people make them. SImply taking people out of a slum environment and dropping them into a socially engineered "utopia" does not necessarily result in an improved situation. That requires the notion of individuals taking responsibility for themselves rather than relying on the nanny state or its local representation to do it for them, and a sense of community and civic pride.

I am not sure that there is such a thing as "working class culture" except in the minds of those wishing to create the notion of one in order to label people. I also fail to see what the geographical origin has to do do with anything, be it estuarine or not.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Wrong. Yo know full well that Milton Keynes is about the greemnest city in the world. It has a longer shoreline than Jersey with all its lakes. It certainly is not souless at all. It buzzes.

The working class who were rehoiused from slums and out in nice brand new homes. the middle class were jealous and would make derogatory remarks.

What are the people in sink estates? the aristocracy?

Irrespective what happened, they were a million miles better off than where they came from.

You are saying all the wroking class have no responsibility and no civic pride. That is disgusting.

Well opposed to traditional British deferential middle class. The Essex man abored those creeps and wanted nothging to do with them or their middle class culture. No going to operas for him. Esex man was a free thinker and didn't go along with the middle classies and their petty snobbery.

The working class exist.

Essex man is type of person. Every town and city has him. Of working class background and culture and keeps hold of it, values it, and makes money. Previously when the working class made money they adopted middle class ways. The middles classies hate his guts for not wanting to be creeps like them.

I love Essex man.

Reply to
IMM

a> NO the sane solution demolition and build new well laid out towns,

So you are advocating abandoning areas as rubble or decaying buildings and building on undeveloped land, rather than rebuilding?

What a twonk!

Reply to
Richard Caley

It is clear you have not been there. Concrete is something you see little of.

It is clear you have not been there. Do not comment on what you know "nothing" about. MK is studied by planners from countries from all over the world as an example of how to do it. Camborne in Cambridgeshire is going the same way.

You have lost touch of reality.

You have lost touch of reality.

The amount people rehoused after WW2 that lived in high rise was small.

You clearly implied it.

Whether you like or not, we have a class society, look around. Britain is riddled with it. We also have an aristocracy and a ruling class (how banana republic can you get?)

The government is doing that in teaching at school social responsibility, fining parents of offending children, stamping down on unsocial behaviour, passing stricter laws on fly-tipping and litter bugs, etc. The government has done a good job in this respect, while under the other lot (Thatcher's words) the social fabric near collapsed.

It is very true.

It exists!! get out of cloud cuckoo Little Middle England.

You know nothing of the make up of UK people.

You do? Will they search for Little Middle Englanders too?

Reply to
IMM

a> The government is [...]

Oh my god! The last Blairite! Slap a preservation order on it quick!

Reply to
Richard Caley

Only in the short term because there are only so many executives. In my BCO days we had successive periods when flats, exec houses, ordinary houses, back-to-back starter homes and senior citizens developments each were in favour. If you look back to pre-WW2 when people could build what they liked plenty of houses for 'ordinary' people were built - £395 a time on my patch.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Mudflats 'cross the Mersey, 'cause this land is rising up...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

I believe at low tide you can now walk across a part of the estuary. I'm sure it would be dangerous because of sinking sand etc. I read in the S Times about 20 years ago of a proposal to dam the river in, creating a third road crossing. I think the greenies these days would stop this.

Reply to
IMM

The A548 used to be under water? or was it the A540?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Where is that? Is that the Mersey Tunnel?

Reply to
IMM

It is along the Dee, as your 20 year old map will show.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan