Making a ruin into something habitable.

Many years ago (late 1970's IIRC) I had a friend who lived in Bean Hill, MK. He lived in a MKDC 'house' with black corrugated metal walls and a flat roof. Perhaps they've already been demolished?
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Owain

May have been the temp house for the construction workers.

I don't believe you.

once again, I don't believe you.

a> NO the sane solution demolition and build new well laid out towns, So you are advocating abandoning areas as rubble or decaying buildings and building on undeveloped land, rather than rebuilding?
What a twonk!
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<

The north west of England is rising. Look at maps of 20 years ago and now . Today the River Mersey has become smaller and the River Dee about half the size.

Mudflats 'cross the Mersey, 'cause this land is rising up...
Peter

I believe at low tide you can now walk across a part of the estuary. I'm sure it would be dangerous because of sinking sand etc. I read in the S Times about 20 years ago of a proposal to dam the river in, creating a third road crossing. I think the greenies these days would stop this.

The A548 used to be under water? or was it the A540?

Where is that? Is that the Mersey Tunnel?

It is along the Dee, as your 20 year old map will show.

So it was under water a lot of the time and is not now? I think buying land there ids a good investments the south east will have to move there eventually.

I don't know, that is why I was asking you to look at your 20 year old map and tell me where the river Dee used to be.

Much more likely that the vast majority of the populace have little idea of what the detailed rules are nor the fact they are complex and filled with anomalies. The so called United Kingdom is anything but when it comes to the law. Get out there and campaign if you want the government to change!
IMM wrote:

Interesting; When I visited the UK in 2000 after a continuous absence of 40 years and experience of life style on this side of the Atlantic (during which we built two houses ourseleves on purchased land) I couldn't understand why there were housing shortages and such UK high housing costs. UK is now prosperous so that would account for some of the higher costs, also the more substantial style of 'brick' building, but for a typical house on a small piece of ground to cost four times that in say Canada or the US? Also looking around the UK there was lots of land. Much of it seemingly doing nothing? Some of it cultivated and no doubt there is a need for some historical acreages. Maybe 'unused' land should be the property of 'the crown' i.e. the government, as much of it is elsewhere. For example if I apply for and get a one acre summer cabin 'lot' I pay certain small fees to the province for survey and description, must pay an annual rental fee, meet all conditions of use, i.e. MUST build within certain period of time and maintain that property etc. Then, with conditions met I will own property freehold without further fees after set period. Some of those properties, depending on distance and location can/do turn into permanent homes.

The situation need not exist if they allow people access to land to build their own homes with their own money. Instead we spend huge amounts of taxpayers money, directly and indirectly, building very small homes to attempt to fill the homes shortage gap. We always have a homes shortage, the UK is always has a housing crisis and has had one for the past 200 years. None of it makes sense at all, well not to the average intelligent person. It makes sense to large land owners who are amongst the riches people in the UK...by doing nothing inventive or creative or showing much business acumen.....just taking rent The situation need not exist.
Land landowners have been engaged in a propaganda campaign for decades in order to convince the people of the UK that we don't have land, the countryside is precious and it should be left alone. They have largely succeeded. People do actually believe it. Wrell they would if they have been spoon fed lies for decades. Firstly we have a land surplus, secondly, the countryside is mainly filled with boring open fields of great vsual merit with much of it subsidised in many ways.
IMM wrote:

I don't find any of our open fields boring, and I can assure you they aren't subsidised in any way. I am sure many others are in the exact same situation (like most of my neighbours).
--
Grunff

Wed are not not about your fields, fields in general!

Ah, so grunff isn't one of these evil landowning folk controling the fields so unfortunate people like me have to be homeless?
Jim.

Boring open fields of great visual merit?
A man of Mystery indeed...what is he on about?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

We are over controlled to the benefit of large landowners of which 1% of the population own 70% of the land.