making a photography darkroom

No I'm was talking about teaching photography.

Yes I know, and tehy are wrong, and I gave my reasons.

I've told you time and time and time again, and because you've NEVER taught probbaly anything in yuor life so you don't understand.

We're having similar problems herwe with studetn NOT understanding the basics.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So let's assume you start with a person who knows very little about photography but wants to learn the basics and then eventually to become a good photographer.

Suppose you intend to teach them about to begin with about aperture/depth of field, shutter speed for stopping motion or letting it blur, judging correct exposure (metering), focussing, composition etc. Do you believe that they will learn learn more thoroughly and/or more quickly if they use a film camera than if they use a digital camera, assuming all details of the camera's capabilities (eg auto modes that can be turned off requiring use of manual settings, using SLR rather than compact etc) remain the same?

I accept that they will learn about matters that are specific to film, such as choice of film (manufacturer, slide/neg, B&W/colour) and limitations such as reciprocity failure at extremes of exposure, but is knowledge of those actually essential to be a good photographer nowadays when most people, both amateurs and professions, use digital?

I'm assuming that to begin with you are strict about which automatic exposure modes they may/may not use, and likewise that you insist on manual focus - those automatic features and the ability to turn them off and use manual modes are the same on both film and digital - assuming you are not insisting that for film they use a very old manual-only camera which would probably be very hard to find these days.

Even though I *have* taught people things, mainly class teaching on training courses at work and as 1:1 training/demonstrating/teaching of the use of computers, I'm having great difficulty in understanding why teaching of the principles of photography is so much better when using a film camera than a digital one. Indeed I'd say that the fact that students get immediate feedback of how making camera adjustments will affect the final photo is a very definite reason why teaching on digital is better. True, they don't learn about film-specific limitations, but is that relevant nowadays? Sorry if that last sentence is rather heretical!

Reply to
NY

stop there.

First you teach them about light and the pinhole camera and how that works.

saabout aperture/depth of

if they can be turned off and kept off then perhaps yes but the trouble with a digital device is concentrating on what is important. yes I know they can take 1,000s of photo in the time it will take to delevop one film but tehy aren;t going to view 1000s of photos and compare them kids attention spans are too small for that.

I wouldn;t have thopugh so unless you want to know about photgraphy rather than just using a digital camera.

first yuo ned to teach them what automatic means. What correct exposure means. what all the terms mean and how they influence the image you can do all this without even using a camera.

Why would I insit on it ?

- those automatic features and the ability to turn them off and use

That would be the ideal situation nprove to the studetns that it is possible to take a photo without a battery being used.

1:1 a peace of piss, try teach 30 kids in a glass where each is given a digital camera to play with.

I have told you many times.

Tell me how you'd teach 40 kids computing when it's computer is connected to the web with facebook, youtube etc.. all fully availible. Even here at uni we are having problms getting the studetns to turn up for classes even after they have paid 9 grand a year. Current academic solutions to this include giving them an extra print credit of 50 pages for turning up to a lab or lecture, or some other incentive to turn up.

the same way that using a spell checker teaches kids how to spell. That's a great succsess isn't it.

it's NOTHING to do with film how many more times.

Teh perfect diogitsal cameras woudl have limited number of pictures availble and I don;lt mean a limit of 10,000 more like a dozen. They wouldn't be deletable by the user. you'd have an option for metering but manual would be the setting for everything. Students would have to right down the setting rather than get them in exif that way it'd mean more to them AT THE time rathe rthan looking at 1,000 images in starbucks.

The problems are studetn not gettign the basic I see it here. The lectruer lecturesd and gives the student as link to a 100 page slide presentation to print out.

One of the reason a 3rd yeqar student while being able to calualte the formuals for wind turbines and genrating factors put a nail through his copper coil and was suprised it stopped working as he didn't realise copper conducted electricity. he had done most of his work in simulation on a computer. He now has a degree in elec eng. Why does he now know copper conducts because I showed him and I used a meter to prove it.

I had a senior academic come to me distressed that his circuit board was shorted out. Trouble is he'd never used our DMMS which give a bleep as continuinty for resistances below 50 ohms. he was tesing efectively a 47 ohm reistor !. Sometimes you have to understand teh equipenet you're using.

Reply to
whisky-dave