Making a 3 legged garden table

I could esily build a 4 legged one but prefer the look of a 3 legged tripod type layout of the legs apart from that the previous owner has done a poor job of laying slabs so a 4 legged would never be level. My problem is that anything I have looked appears complicated joints where the legs meet and may be beyond me for accuracy. Is there a simpler arrangement for constructing a 3 legged table where the legs angle out from a central point.

Any ideas welcome.

Reply to
ss

A fabricator should be able to weld you up a plate with 3 tube sockets on it for leg poles. They just need to be spaced equidistantly around a circle and at the same angle.

Or you can get them ready made

make a 4 legged table with adjustable feet on the legs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The simplest arrangement would be three straight legs that are somehow tied together at something close to their midpoints, and then fanned out wigwam style. The bits from the join down providing the legs, then upper section up the table support.

Reply to
John Rumm

Simply make a four legged table & cut one leg off.

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ss presented the following explanation :

Could you not fit adjusters to the bottoms of the legs, if it is going to be rigid?

I made up a pub style table & bench unit a few weeks. That has four legs and it is on an less than even surface. They are no so rigid end to end and it's own weight makes it twist slightly so as to always sit with all four feet in good contact. Maybe you could design one pair of the legs so they could pivot, to accommodate unevenness?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I may just go for a 3 legged straight legs in the end, This is more than `less than even` surface as height of some of the slabs differ by as much as 2 inches and it will be next year before I have the time to relay them properly.

Reply to
ss

ss formulated the question :

No ordinary table will cope with 2" difference in level without lots of help.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sounds like it needs a gimbal and a lump of concrete at the bottom.

Reply to
dennis

Very easy, if you use very thick round legs you simply screw the slatted top to them. Simples. Perfect application for unchopped firewood.

NT

Reply to
NT

I am not grasping it NT. What I want to do is an X type layout for the legs but with 3 legs, I understand the screwing table top to the legs but it is the `joint` where the three legs meet that is the issue.

Reply to
ss

What you are looking for is known as a cricket table. Google that for some ideas. I made one last year. It was a nightmare to layout and cut the joints. Wasn't worth the effort.

Reply to
fred