Makeover shows: Why no curtains?

One thing that occurs to me whilst watching all those "Property Ladder" house renovation shows on TV.

The renovators usually redecorate in a stark modern way -- rooms often do not have any curtains!

This "lets light into the space" but seems bonkers for the English climate. Freezing in Winter and not much privacy, either.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Nah, they just scumble over the window glass in a nice black or purple, it saves on curtains, or box the windows in with a nice piece of pegboard.

Reply to
EricP

Many of the furnishings you see are loaned and returned afterwards. It's difficult to get made-to-measure curtains for loan ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's popular entertainment with an element of fantasy, it's not meant to be DIY...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

They probably assume double or triple glazing.

As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't want others to see?

We rarely draw our curtains in the house. In the caravans we don't have them, instead we use venetian blinds, much more satisfactory.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't want to see me at 6 in the morning in nowt but boxers :/ The only difference between me and an extra from "Day of the Dead" is I'm not green (depending on beer consumption the previous night)...

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

That's true. So I promise not to look :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Erm, i can think of a couple of things...

Reply to
Grunff

Indeed, but I don't wish to see or participate in it, particularly if it is happening contemporaneously...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No. That's why we don't have a telly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So you are another of the miniscule 0.2 percent of households which don't have a telly, though they tell me that in Cambridge the number shoots up to 2%

Anything I particularly want to watch is recorded by my mum and I watch it later which generally works out fine though it was only last weekend that I caught up on Grand Designs Abroad

Didn't the artist couple in Italy and the couple with the massive roofless chateau in France work hard! And neither of them young either. What was the outcome of the alpine farmhouse which was being 'managed' from London while the local builders assumed the owners wanted a house like all the others in the area. The last I saw was when she burst into tears cos it wasn't ready for her 30K kitchen delivery. Then the video cut out

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

It's the only part of me which IS minuscule!

We don't even see videos of our appearances on telly ... but since we were there we don't need to!

We'd have loved to restore a Scottish pile. Too late now though.

£30K for a kitchen???

Bloody hell! That would take ALL our savings :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Savings? can't afford them ;-(

T i m

"Jesus saves"

Reply to
T i m

They accumulate by accident - 'retirement' pay off and a couple of insurance policies. Not real savings, just not spent :-) and I certainly wouldn't spend it on a kitchen.

But I'm a tight Tyke ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No you aren't Mary .. it's just (like us) your priorities are elsewhere?

I would assume that as long as your kitchen allows you to store / cook food then that's job done?

I fitted our kitchen 15 years ago (with reasonable quality plain (white) units at the time) and they are all still fine.

The missus, given the choice of going out on her Yamaha XV750 or re-decorating the lounge .... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's small. It's not much changed from when we moved in 40+ years ago, except that I now have a large fridge, upright freezer, washing machine, small dishwasher and 90cm cooker. Oh, and about 4' of counter space, a sink with double drainer. That's it. No room for anything else.

Hmm. Very different from when we moved in :-)

Food storage is still in the pantry.

I need no more. There's a small cupboard for bits and five drawers, shelves for crockery and pans ( I hate cupboards at head height), all Spouse-made.

Yes?

I've never liked motor bikes but don't relish decorating either.

Boring or what!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They're "selling a dream". Reality only hits once you've bought the dream :-)

Reply to
G&M