Make your own fire surround?

I'm replacing a wall-mounted gas fire with a more modern version. I'm told that I need a surround to bring it away from the wall (between the living room and dining room) to give some depth to mount the fire. I'm told I need a hearth also because of building regs. I have no problem with any of this. However, I've been quoted £375 to supply a hearth (36" x 13") and back panel (36" x 36") made of marble-effect resinated stone. I don't see why it costs so much - why can't I make my own?

TIA Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Who told you this and who's supplying the backing and earth? ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If it's an enclosed wall fire, don't think a hearth is required. If its a flame effect gas fire, you might. If needed, you can make your own. Just needs to be the correct dimensions and of a non-combustable material. You could use concrete. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Sorry. On re-reading my original post I see I've misled you. The replacement is a flame effect gas fire, not wall-mounted as before. I trust the engineer who told me that it needed padding out, particularly as the dividing wall is very thin and he's always been very trustworthy and reasonably-priced in the past. The quote is from a local one-man showroom about whom I'm a little dubious.

Reply to
Another Dave

If it's an enclosed wall fire, don't think a hearth is required. If its a flame effect gas fire, you might. If needed, you can make your own. Just needs to be the correct dimensions and of a non-combustable material. You could use concrete. Simon.

I made my own superimposed hearth ( the bit at ground level you can see ) from travertine marble and cement. It required a diamond-type flat bed tile cutter to cut the marble, well, the vertical bits supporting the three main horizontal slabs which make up the bulk of the hearth. Will add a fire surround of more travertine marble later this year. I'm with Simon, as long as it's non-combsutible you can make your own. BTW I paid £650 for a hearth and fire surround in Italian oolitic limestone ( cheap stuff ) and tulip wood for my other fireplace.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

must have needed a lot of tulips. (semismiley here) And for those that like but cant afford marble, terrazzo is cheap and pretty, and diyable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222