Maintenance requirements of painted render.

Ok, wife has a new job down in Huntingdon, so now thinking about the move and buying a house etc. (though we won't be looking to have to move until spring next year as we have a baby to get born first :-))

But we've started looking at few houses, to get a feel for the market as much as anything. A couple of the houses had painted rendered walls. I've no experience of this and wandered what sort of maintenance requirement there is in terms of cleaning (possible?) and repainting - I really don't like the look of houses where the render has got dirty and scruffy looking, so would want to keep it in good nick.

I know its a vague question, but assuming a decent sized house (detached

4-5 beds) any idea what sort of price would contractors charge to repaint it?
Reply to
chris French

I'd use a pliolite, solvent based paint, applied with a long haired acrylic roller. Shouldn't need any preparation as the paint is thin enough to bind surface grime. Probably a day to brush the edges off a ladder, and a day for rolling the rest. This type of paint doesn't hold dirt easily so should require very little maintenance.

Reply to
stuart noble

As the owner of a painted render house....

Before you buy make sure there is easy access for repainting. (not above a pitched lean to roof). Smooth render is much quicker to paint than the bobbly stuff.

Re costs, dont know but for our bobbly stuff it takes me about 2.5 weeks solid to paint it (Large 4 bed detached). Smooth would be less than a week I reckon.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:55:45 +0100, "stuart noble"

Reply to
robert

In message , snipped-for-privacy@freeserve.co.uk writes

Reply to