Mains water pressure in a new(ish) house?

What's the typical mains water pressure in a house with modern plumbing?
The reason I ask is that where the water comes in, there's what looks like a pressure regulator valve with a pressure guage on it. (I assume it's also the isolator for the water into the house as I can't find any other stopcock type valves anywhere. I'm used to older house where the isolation was done by a brass valve with a tap type handle on the top - This valve has a black cylindrical handle about 2.5 inch diameter. It does alter the pressure when turned but I haven't turned it right down to see if it's the cut-off for the house as it seems to turn for ages.
Anyway, the pressure guage reads 3 bar - Is this normal?
It's a new house (well, to me anyway - It's nearly 4 years old) and I just wanted to check.
Cheers
Cubik
Cubik wrote in message

Cheers - Just wanted to check
Cubik
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:03:37 -0000, Cubik wrote:

Wander over to the OFWAT site, ISTR that 7bar was the minimum at the boards stopcock but I could be wrong...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:52:53 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Nah! That must be a continental 1 looking like a 7. In practice most people seem to have a standing pressure of around 3 bar. I beleive that OFFWAT say there must be enough pressure to fill the loft storage tank (that's about 1 bar), some people have to put up with that. Legally I don't think you could actually get any compensation until there is not enough water to run the kitchen sink tap but I may be wrong.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Cubik wrote:

Yes. I think mine reads 4 bar. I think 1.5 bar is minimum or summat.

Cubik wrote on Tuesday (27/01/2004) :

That sounds about right. It is not just the static pressure which matters, but the flow as well. If you almost close the stop tap, the static pressure will be the same, but the flow would be poor.
I seem to remember they time how long it takes to fill a vessel of a certain size with the tap full on.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:16:24 +0000, FLoppy disk Kvle wrote:

At some point it would sink so the question is irrelevant ;-).
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

3 bar sounds fine.
Christian.