Mains supply weatherproof external metered

Hi,

Not quite DIY but I expect someone here has had to do this and will be able to offer a ball park price for the installation of a fixed external weathe rproof secure metered mains supply. The purpose is for facilities on a vill age green. It only needs to supply a hundred watts routinely @ 240v 30A max will be ample. Mains distribution overhead wires are available within abou t 10m of the site.

Thanks for any enlightenment. Web searches are overwhelmed by US external m ains kit and so far no one has been willing to give me any sort of price in dication.

The reason is for a community defibrillator (needs 100W to stay frost free) and there is a telephone kiosk on the village green with its own mains sup ply but I am not sure how BT react to requests to piggy backing onto their supply.

Anyone have experience of this?

Regards, Martin Brown

Posting via Google groups because free.teranews is dead in the water today as is their level2 support - mail not read for >30 days :( They bounce email to postmaster too :(

Reply to
|||newspam|||

BT could use some good press so it must be worth asking them. How long they will keep a kiosk there is another matter.

Reply to
newshound

If the Kiosk goes then the power supply can remain , I don't think the light inside runs off the phone cable.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In article , |||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk scribeth thus

No, but I have heard that they are OK with some people using then for rather odd projects., One round out way was a effigy of Guy Fawkes in who seems to reside there now.

Ask them, they can only say no they might have a dept that deals with such community projects, its sod all skin off their nose and a bit if good publicity won't do them any harm. I expect the difficulty will be finding the right person..

Mind you Huge managed to get a quick response the other day he mailed the head honcho perhaps you might try the same;?...

Eternal September no bother at all just works, or news individual net....

Reply to
tony sayer

BT actually want small villages to take over and maintain the old red kiosks where people want them because they are part of the landscape but hardly get used for phone calls. Our Parish council was asked but declined as they did not want commit any funds to do so. There is a notice inside two years old saying it will be disconnected but the line still has a dialing tone on it. Since then the BT contractor has given it a nice shiny repaint with the Crown nicely done in a gold colour.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Does it have to be metered?

Electricity companies offer unmetered supplies for street lighting and similar purposes where the load can be prediced.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That will be up to the supply company. Whilst they might be prepared to do that for a defibulator if the max load is well known, I doubt they will allow you to have a feed for anything else, such as a 30A outlet.

Does the village green have any council buildings such as village hall or a storage building or similar with a supply? Tapping from that might be a better bet, or finding someone nearby who will allow you to do that and recover their costs (which need to be worked out, because it's currently illegal for a consumer to resell electricity for a profit).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

So how come the solar FIT parasites currently* get to sell their electricity at five times the going retail rate?

  • until the glorious day when they all get lined up, stripped of all their assets and executed for crimes against humanity.
Reply to
The Other Mike