Mains / shaver socket in airing cupboard

Hi Guys,

Can anyone please advise on the regulation for putting a shaver socket in an airing cupboard in the bathroom?

I understand you can't have a socket in the bathroom directly, but my airing cupboard (that now houses a condensing boiler instead of the old water tank) has mains in there (for the boiler.) Is it allowed to spur off this feed for a shaver socket inside the cupboard?

Thanks for reading and for any advice

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In fact you can - shaver sockets are the exception to the general rule. As long as the socket is the type with an isolating transformer then it can go in the bathroom.

Yup, or outside...

Reply to
John Rumm

600mm from the edge of bath or shower ISTR.

No problems putting a shaver point there. The shaver point might need to be fused down to 3A using a fused spur.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I can't imagine you're going to shave in the airing cupboard...

So be aware that shaver sockets are switched by inserting the plug, and they're somewhat noisy (transformer buzz) when switched on. So it might not be the best idea to provide a low current socket in there for something else (presumably left plugged in), as even though it's isolated, it will buzz.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for the replies guys.

The airing cupboard is directly adjacent to a shower cubicle so the socket will physically be situated

Reply to
Steve

You can use a non transfoming shaver point in the airing cupboard if you want to.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks Adam, that's handy to know - I only saw transforming sockets in B&Q so assumed these were the "norm".

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Interesting difference in regulations/practice! Here in eastern Canada the old style 117 volt, one to one transformer,

7 watt, isolated shaver outlets are no longer used/installed (Or even permitted as far as one can tell). And the even older style outlet installed in the rim/edge of a light fixture above say the vanity are definitely non compliant.

But GFI (RCD style) outlets in bathrooms etc. are now the thing. Each duplex GFI costs around $12 to $18. Roughly ten quid? Uninstalled, we have several around the house. Incidentally they do occasionally go faulty. Fortunately they seem to fail 'ope' i.e. non functional or fail safe. One outside in the wall of the garden shed needs replacement for example.

Here we woud be compliant by mountinga GFI facing into the bathroom itself.

We have two duplex outlets in our bathroom. Two shavers are left plugged* in and a third position is occupied by an LED 'night light' with its built in photo cell (Night Light costing equiv. of one or two quid at one of those 'cheap' stores). The first duplex is the GFI which then 'protects' any leakage or unbalance of anything plugged into it or the second duplex outlet next to and 'downstream' of it. The GFI also 'protects' a waterproof light fixture in the 'roof' of the fiberglass shower/tub unit.

Works fine since only radial circuits; no ring mains here. Duplex outlets are mounted in wall left side of sink vanity about four feet from bathtub/shower. Metal water plumbing bonded to house neutral back at the main circuit breaker panel.

  • Appliance plugs here are not fused and are often the moulded to end of appliance cord type.
Reply to
terry

Probably hard to find in the sheds. MK do one but it's a bit pricey

Reply to
Mike Clarke

As long as its has a door on it. Its a diffrent room. The old tabk supply may have been direct supply from the fuse box.

Reply to
zaax

...where said 600mm also sweeps around an open door into the airing cupboard, bringing wiring accessories within the IPx4 requirement.

Solutions are... #1 hinge the door the other way so the zone doesn't reach any wiring accessories inside, #2 fit a splined lock to the door ("requires use of a tool"), #3 use appropriately rated equipment such as transformer shaver outlet or IPx4 isolator for immersion, boiler etc.

Most people choose #2 as "solves everything now **** off" :-)))

Shaving in an airing cupboard is a little unusual, *smile*. If it is just for charging why not stick a non-transformer shaver outlet in the master bedroom?

Cordless Philips/Norelco seem to suck compared to Braun, sadly I bought the former very cheaply (=A338 v =A3125 in UK). Indeed transformer variants can be very noisy if you have a stud wall and note the required wall depth can be "considerable".

Reply to
js.b1

Hi

Thanks for the info. Let's just say having the family toothbrush charger in any of the bedrooms is inconvenient. As I had mains in the cupboard, I wondered what the "rules" were in terms of fitting the socket inside it are.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hmmm, reminds me they do UV toothbrush cleaners now... ... bathrooms are going to get somewhat crowded with appliances!

We might see a change in the 18th regs if trends continue... Traditional 30mA RCD protection will still "piggin hurt" and was chosen as a balance between fibrillation/time & ease of RCD manufacture. However 10mA RCD protection is now available at low cost (RCBO =A340, RCD =A325 & Inline-RCD =A312), but would require a dedicated supply. With a 10mA supply I think we could see a viable product providing 3 shaver outlets (toothbrush, shaver, toothbrush cleaner) and hairdryer (BS4343 125A in new shuttered form should cover that).

I think some EU countries do use a 10mA supply to the bathroom with outlets, so you could just copy them since regulations do permit "or an equivalent named standard". The problem may be they use it with Shocko sockets.

Reply to
js.b1

Careful, or she may Clipsal you :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Careful, or she may Clipsal you :-)

Nothing wrong with a cheap white socket.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ah, but shuttering requires other pins to be pushed - adds cost :-)

Reply to
js.b1