Mains interference

I'm using Ethernet over power adaptors throughout the house for various appliances, including CCTV cameras.

I have a CCTV camera in the garage, though the Ethernet over power adaptor keeps dropping out, which is obviously causing gaps in recording.

I suspect this is due to the freezer being in the garage and the freezer motor causing interference, thus loss of connectivity. The garage is on a seperate circuit from the consumer unit, via an underground armoured cable.

I think some sort of filter on the freezer plug/socket might resolve this.

Can anyone advise on what I need ?

It seems that mains filters are to use on the sensitive appliance, to stop them receive dirty mains, rather than the appliance causing the interference ?

I want to ensure that the freezer doesn't introduce interference into the mains. Will a simple mains conditioner suffice here ? I can't put a filter on the Ethernet over power adaptor, or it will stop it working.

Any tips/similar experiences welcome.

cf

Reply to
cf-leeds

You probably want a suitable filter close to the compressor motor itself

- any cable length on the unsuppressed side will radiate RF.

It can be done either way round. I used to work at an observatory site where every regular car was carefully doctored to minimise the RF interference radiating from the ignition coil and spark plugs.

Usually it is easier to doctor the small number of receivers.

The cheapest option to try would be a clip on ferrite shorted turn around the mains cable as close to the motor as you can manage.

I expect Maplin flog them for some usurious mark up.

If that isn't enough then something like this ought to do the job.

Otherwise you will have to accept the odd dropout.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've been through similar issues and concluded that ethernet-over-power adaptors are not fit for purpose when used with CCTV (as is Wifi).

I went through the pain of wiring for CAT5/6 and everything works much more reliably now.

2p
Reply to
WeeBob

Thanks for responses.

In my case, I have no choice but Ethernet over power for the CCTV deployment, as cabling is not an option. That said, it is quite a reliable solution apart from the garage camera. If I can resolve that issue, I'll have an acceptable solution.......

Rgds

cf

Reply to
cf-leeds

What happens if you connect up a laptop instead of the CCTV, with the receiving powerline adaptor connected to your router/modem? Can you surf the web without problem or would that drop out, too? With the CCTV, does the problem go away if you turn off the freezer (it's ok to do this for an hour or so providing you don't open the freezer door). Also, have you tried different adaptors (you say you are using them throughout the house, so you could try another one in place of the one you are using with the CCTV ).

Can you borrow an extension lead with a built-in interference filter and connect that between the freezer and mains supply?

Just trying to save you some messing around with the freezer. Our freezer worked fine until there was a safety "recall", and a technician called to fit a replacement part. It soon started intermittent random defrosting, and we had to replace it several months later.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I think personally that all use of house wring for networks for computer should be banned. Not only are they unreliable but they cause horrible interference to anyone listening to a short wave radio or using any kind of analogue over the mains intercom or baby monitor on the same mains phase. mains wiring was simply not designed for this. How difficult would it really be to hard wire the network or use wifi?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A bog-standard freezer compressor will not generate any RF. If it's a fancy freezer with a microcontroller, or if the freezer uses an inverter driven compressor, it's possible the microcontroller or it's power supply might generate interference.

The freezer may have an RF supressor across the mains input to reduce RF noise from the thermostat contacts. This may also attenuate the RF ethernet signal (as that's also just RF noise), and things might improve by disconnecting it.

Don't remove a simple snubber just across the thermostat contacts as that will limit the contact life, and won't help the problem, as RF will not pass through the compressor windings anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I use two here. Not an issue for the geriatrics but visiting family expect their devices to work anywhere in the house.

Wifi from the router is a bit line of sight and doesn't get through two solid walls. Hard wire plus local wifi too much effort for an existing set up. I'll be back for advice when the electrical job gets going on the cottage.

You may be relieved to learn there are currently no neighbours within

75m:-)
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Some interesting ideas here:

I'd have to spend a while in the garage to test things out, so what I might do is wait until a cold spell (plenty of thise right now) and unplug the freezer for a while, to prove it's the cause of the intereference.......

Reply to
cf-leeds

Hmm, kinda radical, but I think they're a great technology. In my case, it's a reliable alternative to drilling holes and runing cables thoughout my old, characterful house. A no brainer really......

We'd all love to wind back the clock and flood wire our houses with Cat"whatever it is these days".......

"...anyone listening to short wave radio" - Forgive me for being inconsiderate to this ever so tiny minority. Maybe they too need to get Ethernet over power to deliver data services to their room of choice, where they can connect an Internet radio.

Reply to
cf-leeds

I've had a freezer off in a warm room for 24 hours plus and it stayed sub zero

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I quite agree! How hard can it be to fit extra POE access points in any verical sections of the house where the signal is weak? And POE cameras are quite handy too, especially as outside ones can have outside wiring if preferred.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It's no effort at all. Use POE access points with a fixed IP on the existing local subnet and they don't need any other configuration at all. Just works. Might need a POE switch wired to the router and placed where it is convenient to run wires to the other rooms.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You need to remember I have been farming for the last 35 years:-) and had to look up POE!

I think this is a problem that can be left to the new owners. However, the cottage is smaller and much more compact. The telephone entry point and office/main computer will be at one end so I will need some sort of booster. The Devolo units were a gift from my children whereas the POE units look to start at ?100 not including cabling.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If you are only needing one access point and have a spare ethernet socket on the router or an existing switch you can get a POE adapter for about 20GBP I know these work;

And you can get a cheap POE access point for about 25GBP, though I don't know how well this one works:

Roger Hayter

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Hmm.. ignorance on view:-( Reading the blurb did not tell me that either of these units would cover the entire house or that it would enable multiple mobile device connections. I do have a spare Ethernet socket.

With the family home the load might be one i-player and up to three i-phones.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm not wrong, I just hold a different viewpoint from you.

But to go back to what I said " did they design it for a use that became popular roughly a century later?"

Show me some evidence that someone involved setting up phone lines in the 1900's said or wrote something like " 'I'm designing these to carry a data signal in about 100 years time" .

I doubt you can and it is a fortunate twist that others have come along since and found that within limitations they can.

Similarly other have found that domestic wiring though not designed for it can be used in a similar way.

Hardly matters in a domestic home, is using them going to stop the kettle boiling. You said they could interfere with baby monitors, so whoopy do, in that case don't use them or try a different baby monitor. you would want them banned for the thousands who no longer have the requirement to monitor a baby but need a quick an easy fix to solve the problem of extending their home network. And before banging on about they should wire up the place many young people now can only afford to rent so will not be allowed to drill walls and install sockets.

Most doing it for the hobby of electronic fishing rather than to listen to the message though some will listen to some self appointed religious skypilot from Alabama promising you an afterlife providing you send them $25. So weirdos transmitting and weirdos listening. Does any station still aim interesting broadcasts that ordinary people would find interesting at the UK like the Dutch or Swiss used to? You arn't the only segment of society that will have had your hobby changed by circmstances, Pistol shooters had to give up because they were all deemed potential murderers,Some people especially cigar and Pipe users regarded smoking as a Hobby and that has been curtailed, Astronomers find it hard to see the night sky due to encroaching lighting .

If commercial aviation was being adversely affected then somebody apart from disgruntled radio amateurs would be making the point.

What other radio services? What clamour? Lung and Liver FM to along with Heart FM all still playing the same playlist or Comms , . The powerline adapters are part of comms , more people want to use them than listen to the Voice of Korea on shortwave or for people like you to eavesdrop on aircrew speaking to Gander.

What is going to come home to roost that will disrupt the lives of people to an extent that most will care a toss.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

snip

Was "fortunate twist" deliberate? Remarkably relevant! But not 100 years old of course.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I thought the same after I wrote it but it wasn't deliberate.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

haevaristo