Mains fire detectors - cable colours

I am fitting some mains heat/smoke detectors. They are interconnected using 3 core and earth. The colours are Brown, Black and Grey and the detectors have live, neutral and control terminals.

Obviously the brown is used for live.

Is there a standard for the use of the black & grey in this situation?

Many thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:22:46 -0000, "RzB" mused:

Use whatever colours you want, as long as you sleeve them with the correct colour sleeving.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes - use grey (sleeved blue) for neutral and black (no sleeve required) for the interconnect line.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Stuart/Andy, many thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

In message , Lurch writes

The powers that be are trying to discourage the use of black as a neutral, since it might encourage people to mix the old and new three phase colour codes. Apparently!

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 21:21:37 GMT, Clive Mitchell mused:

I don't need any encouragement. ;)

There was an NICEIC documnet that went round at the time the new colours came about recommending the use of brown as live, grey as neutral and black as earth when using 3 core SWA for single phase supplies. I could never see the sense in it myself, well, I sort of could but didn't agree so ignored it.

As a rule of thumb, if it's in the neutral terminal then it's probably a neutral, but also note that assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups!

Reply to
Lurch