Main stop-tap leaking

It seems the stem seals have gone in the main stop tap in my house, which is located under the kitchen sink. Its not leaking much, but am getting the occasional drip, which is causing a minor nuisance.

Incoming main appears to be 25mm blue polypipe, other side of the tap is

15mm copper.

Replacement stop-taps seem to be cheap enough to pick up online, however are these things easy to replace?

The mains supply can be isolated before that as there's a meter/stopcock outside, but haven't yet looked to see if I need a special tool (at my last house I seem to recall you needed a special square shaped key or something to turn the water off in the road).

I'm a relatively competent handyman around the house. I assume, provided I can turn the water off outside, replacing this shouldn't be a difficult task?

Reply to
Simon T

A small turn on the gland nut may fix the problem.

Reply to
dennis

Is there a drain down c*ck - as when you remove the stop valve the water in the house may come flooding out. Open all the taps first to drain off as much as you can. However, greasing and tightening the gland may see you right for another 25 years,.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Is it a brass one with a gland nut on the stem? If so, try tweaking that a little tighter - just 1/16-1/8th of a turn, don't go crazy.

As for "is it easy" - we need a photo please.

That depends a lot on how the blue pipe is terminated and whether there's enough slack in the pipe to accommodate the inevitable difference in pipe end distances.

If you can, stick a Peglar full bore lever/toggle ball valve in - easy to operate and generally very reliable.

And of course, do check the road stopcock first :) If that does not shut off, the water co will generally fix it for free, but you'll be waiting a week or four.

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK, for those who asked, here's a photo...

Look closely, you can see a drip forming on the gland knut.

So you reckon cleaning up the gland knut, greasing and tightening it slightly might well cure this then?

Reply to
Simon T

Might just be enough to tighten that gland nut an 1/8th without bothering with grease.

As for replacing - you've got some spare 15mm pipe to play with. I would put a lever valve on that.

However, I do not know the easiest way to mate the MDPE to that. That looks like an olive over MDPE joint, so I presume there is a brass adaptor that will take that down to 15mm pipe? Then use a 15mm ballvalve. You really need someone else to comment - I did my MDPE to copper in a different way and I don't know the full range of options.

If that's too much trouble, like for like replacement should be pretty simple.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yeah. Before you create hell on earth, just nip it up and see how you go on.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

When I have done this before, I have put some new packing in. It's just an inch of string untwisted. Plus some vaseline. It certainly worked, but maybe OTT.

Reply to
GB

Packing could be too much for this guy, said with respect to him. Best he just try nip it up before packing the gland.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Like for like replacement looks easy. It looks the same as the one stocked in Screfix. However, replacement seems a bit OTT when a little attention to the gland should sort it.

Always good to apply a bit of lube to the shaft and exercise it from time to time.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Oooh, Matron!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager wrote in news:d9nov0FomsrU18 @mid.individual.net:

Whoops!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Quick update for anyone still following this thread.

Gave the gland-nut a tiny, tiny turn and that seems to have done the trick (it was seized, so had to slacken it slightly first, then retighten).

24 hours later, still no drips, so it looks like the jobs a good-un!

Thanks to everyone who posted replies. Saved me having to replace the whole tap (and getting a drenching), or having to fork out for a plumber.

Cheers!

Reply to
Simon T

My plumber spent an hour trying to turn our water off in the road yesterday. The hole was full of sand from council re-paving and, having located the tap, it was seized. He freed it eventually, but the moral is, make sure your external stopcock is functioning and, if not, ring the water company. Thames Water say they're coming within 5 days

Reply to
stuart noble

They will possibly replace it with a external stopcock/water meter combination.

From their web site:

What if I change my mind about having a water meter? You can opt out of being charged on your meter within 12 months of it being fitted, or within one month of your second metered bill (whichever is the later date). We will then change your account back to our unmetered charges from the date you let us know. However, if you move out of your property, the new occupier will be charged using the meter.

Reply to
alan_m

They seem less keen on installing meters recently. A couple of neighbours have had their stopcocks upgraded to dinky little plastic jobs

Reply to
stuart noble

My understanding is that they can then easily install a lock to cut you off.

Happened to ours when we shared it with the brothel and they didn't pay their bill.

Reply to
Bob Eager