Main bonding in gas meter box

I want to fit a main bonding clamp in an external gas meter box. The box doesn't have a cable entry point. I've read that in these circs. one mustn't drill the box but must take the cable up through the hole for the consumer-side gas pipe. Is that right please? If so, does the cable need to be in conduit? (I think it'll look bloody naff either way.)

And while I'm here, does the meter box count as "damp conditions" where I can't use an E14 clamp pl?

Reply to
Robin

The bonding should be done where the service enters the house. Sometimes in the gas cab isnt the right place.

No, not unless I've missed something all this time.

Well, it will be damp, so an outdoor one would be best.

NT

Reply to
NT

"Where it enters" says to me just immediately before it goes through the brickwork, ie on the outside of the brickwork. Does it actually mean "immediately after it enters", ie on the inside of the brick work? Certainly all the bonding clamps I've ever encountered are immediately after the service enters - *and* on the consumer side of any cut-off tap. After all, it's to bond the internal pipework, not to use the external pipework as a ground.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

544.1.2 "connection...As near as practicable to the point of entry...on the consumers hard metal pipework...before any branch pipework....within 600mm of meter outlet union, or point of entry if meter is external."

So,before any branches, preferably within 600mm of entry for the OP, and within 600mm if the meter is internal, on the consumer side, not the gas supply side.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thanks Alan. Yes, reg 544.1.2 seems to leave it open as it whether the bonding is inside or outside (where, as here, it's a simple case of a pipe through a wall, nothing buried etc). But there's also the gas regs. If there's no bonding visible in the meter cabinet a gas fitter may mark it "Not To Current Standards" based on GasSafe's view of the gas regs () The bonding has also to be accessible and the pipe inside the house is difficult to access as it enter under a corner of the living room floor. So I thought I'd take the opportunity while the floor's up to loop through from inside to the meter box and try to keep everyone happy.

Reply to
Robin

Are you coming through the rear of the gas box or externally? I don't know of any reason not to drill the box if external, but

for rear entry cables (we have them posted on the wall at work as a reminder).

Anyway, a true pro would not drill the box. He would us a PZ2 screwdriver and a hammer to make the hole:-).

I would consider condensation (and possibly frost) would make the clamps liable to damp.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

EC15 under Ebay 300653435050 is =A31.69 delivered.

Terminating an EC outside is common for externally run pipework, such as Tracpipe used to replace internal lead.

Reply to
js.b1

I have to bring the cable out below the box (because of the stupid way it was mounted by BG).

Bullseye: example A3 is what I've got so I'll take it as a model.

Thanks but I know my place - ie an amateur certain only of my ability to shatter the 20-year old box with one misjudged blow.

Reply to
Robin

Ta.

Reply to
Robin

Amateurs use a PH2 screwdrivers-)

But you get the idea, just in case anyone thinks I was serious.

Reply to
ARWadsworth