Magnifiers on headbands, etc.

I already have a simple magnifier that works with a stiff plastic headband, and has four interchangeable 'lenses' for different distances, etc. It's OK, but I'd prefer not to have to bend over so much to the bench, so I'm looking for something a bit better, focusing on the bench when I'm upright! Also something that's quick to adjust.

I've noticed the sort of 'binocular' things that surgeons are seen using, and they appear to have a way of focusing by rotating the lens assembly. I've also seem some that work with glasses, yet are easy to move away when required.

I wear glasses with a correction to enable me to see things close up, and It'd quite like to have them readily available to swap between.

I know these are more expensive that what I have, but would like to research it further. If it's possible and saves money, a single eye version would be good since there's only one eye!

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations please?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager submitted this idea :

I use an illuminated magnifier fixed to the bench, on a flexi arm, one of those with the circular fluorescent lamps.

Its very good for being able to work stood up, but it does tend to get in the way of your soldering iron and takes a while to stop rocking back and forth when you move it back to where you are working.

I paid about £20 for it from Maplin on special offer a few years ago and would not be without it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've tried one, but I didn't really get on with it; that's when I bought the cheap headband one. My wife uses it now; it's clamped next to her knitting machine!

Reply to
Bob Eager

You are the bloke who mended Woody in Toy Story 2 AICMFP.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have a pair of the "Peer" magnifiers (1-3/4 and 2-3/4) which fit over varifocal glasses and work fine. I've been tempted by the "surgeon" types for a while but not quite bitten the bullet. In the past there were Russian ones for less than £200 while the German were typically £600 upwards.

These seem reasonable

are Russian, I think

this one must be

look Indian to me and don't quote any prices (and serious microscopists seem to regard Indian optics as a joke).

Newshound