Magnetic limescale inhibitors - useful or carp?

The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?

Robert

Reply to
Robert Irwin

Google this group for an answer - this comes up very frequently.

Reply to
Grunff

No and yes.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has ever tried fishing with magnets. Maggots though...

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Is there anything fishy about this thread?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Tell him to take it away and throw it down the bin.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have one on a combi and it works.

Reply to
IMM

The combi.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Both.

Reply to
IMM

Mine is an electronic one and it works.

All the top water softeners people make them,. Even Fernox make one. If they did not work these companies would not risk their reputation.

Works a treat. Highly recommended.

"Fernox Electronic Water Conditioner Fernox has recently launched the solution to limescale in the home. The Fernox Electronic Water Conditioner, an electronic scale-reducing device protects your system against the damaging effects of limescale that can result in boiler or hot water cylinder failure.

Using the latest micro-processor technology the unit produces a complex modulating frequency waveform which causes the calcium carbonate to form clusters. This way it remains in suspension and does not accumulate inside the hot water cylinder or boiler, ensuring the system runs at peak efficiency and saving on heating costs.

Not only does the Electronic Water Conditioner prevent the build-up of further hard scale, it also dissolves existing scale, which will be flushed from your system.

Guaranteed for 5 years the Fernox Water Conditioner offers long term protection for the home."

Also: One, the WaterImp, is even "endorsed" by the Chemical Engineering Dept. at Bath University,

at:
the Water King electronic de-scaling box

Eco-Hometec (made by MAN) make one of the finest boilers around, in the RR class, Andy hall will tell you all about it, yet as Simon Stroud on this ng, who bought one, said..."One small issue when dealing with Eco-Hometec was their apparent keenness for "electronic" water conditioners."

Top makers of heat banks/cylinder and boilers recommend electronic. They recommend them as "in the field" they are known to work.

And my Aqua-Dial electronic descaler, who make phosphor descalers and full salt softeners, still works.

Reply to
IMM

I rather doubt if they are in the electronics business, Almost certainly they resell something designed and made by someone else.

The company also repeatedly says that water is "capricious". WHat kind of science is that?

There is inconsistency.

"Our units are not softeners. They are conditioners"

"In a very short time, approximately four weeks, you will notice the water begins to feel softer. Taps, shower roses and other outlets gradually lose their coating of scale. Lather will increase and the use of detergents will be reduced."

These last two claims are chemically impossible.

Not when I spoke to them. The recommendation was phosphor dosing or ion exchange softening.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If it didn't work, hey would not sell one. They have a reputation to look after.

Reply to
IMM

It helps him hear the voices in his head you know. Its that good. Really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you ever wound the wires of one of these around your head?

Reply to
IMM

They don't work unless you believe in magic and alchemy.

Reply to
BillR

Mine works.

Reply to
IMM

..........well it is an electronic box, not a magnet.

Reply to
IMM

Point made then.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL, boiled beef and carrots, boiled beef and carrots...

Reply to
IMM

QED.

:-)