Magnetic limescale inhibitors - useful or carp?

Page 1 of 2
The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these work or should I tell him to send it back and get a chemical one?
Robert
Robert Irwin wrote:

Google this group for an answer - this comes up very frequently.
--
Grunff

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:54:49 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Is there anything fishy about this thread?
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:50:54 -0000, "Robert Irwin" <catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom> wrote:>The plumber is about to fit one in our new place on a combi boiler. Do these

No and yes.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Robert Irwin" <catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has ever tried fishing with magnets. Maggots though...

these
Mine is an electronic one and it works.
All the top water softeners people make them,. Even Fernox make one. If they did not work these companies would not risk their reputation.
Works a treat. Highly recommended.
http://www.fernox.com/whatsnew/main_ewc.htm
Which says:
"Fernox Electronic Water Conditioner Fernox has recently launched the solution to limescale in the home. The Fernox Electronic Water Conditioner, an electronic scale-reducing device protects your system against the damaging effects of limescale that can result in boiler or hot water cylinder failure.
Using the latest micro-processor technology the unit produces a complex modulating frequency waveform which causes the calcium carbonate to form clusters. This way it remains in suspension and does not accumulate inside the hot water cylinder or boiler, ensuring the system runs at peak efficiency and saving on heating costs.
Not only does the Electronic Water Conditioner prevent the build-up of further hard scale, it also dissolves existing scale, which will be flushed from your system.
Guaranteed for 5 years the Fernox Water Conditioner offers long term protection for the home."
Also: One, the WaterImp, is even "endorsed" by the Chemical Engineering Dept. at Bath University, http://www.waterimp.co.uk/scientific.html
Also:
DPS at: http://www.heatweb.com Recommend the Water King electronic de-scaling box
Eco-Hometec (made by MAN) make one of the finest boilers around, in the RR class, Andy hall will tell you all about it, yet as Simon Stroud on this ng, who bought one, said..."One small issue when dealing with Eco-Hometec was their apparent keenness for "electronic" water conditioners."
Top makers of heat banks/cylinder and boilers recommend electronic. They recommend them as "in the field" they are known to work.
And my Aqua-Dial electronic descaler, who make phosphor descalers and full salt softeners, still works.

I rather doubt if they are in the electronics business, Almost certainly they resell something designed and made by someone else.

That is stretching it.
The company also repeatedly says that water is "capricious". WHat kind of science is that?
There is inconsistency.
"Our units are not softeners. They are conditioners"
"In a very short time, approximately four weeks, you will notice the water begins to feel softer. Taps, shower roses and other outlets gradually lose their coating of scale. Lather will increase and the use of detergents will be reduced."
These last two claims are chemically impossible.

Not when I spoke to them. The recommendation was phosphor dosing or ion exchange softening.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Do
If it didn't work, hey would not sell one. They have a reputation to look after.

at
RR
ng,

They MIGHT work in low hardwater areas, but where we are, these electronic devices achieved no water softening effect at all. Useless!On Sunday, 18 January 2004 19:01:08 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

only 9 years late ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
Exactly like the technology.
One particular unit claims bit things for an alternating hf current in a coil. It is so annoying that it screws up radio reception for several hhouses near it, and of course it don't work neither.
If there was any validity in this, then in the intervening years they would have been developed surely?
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"John Rumm" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null> wrote in message
I understood that they do not reduce the content, I mean how can they, they tend to make the particlles clump and one supposes that this will only be effective if there are not too many of them!
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
Robert Irwin wrote:

Tell him to take it away and throw it down the bin.

"Robert Irwin" <catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

these
I have one on a combi and it works.

The combi.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Both.

IMM wrote:

It helps him hear the voices in his head you know. Its that good. Really.

Have you ever wound the wires of one of these around your head?

Robert Irwin wrote:

They don't work unless you believe in magic and alchemy.

Mine works.