Magnet Trade again

Late last year I were building a deck for a lady. The woman next door was the manager of the local Magnet Trade.

She asked me if I would like to open an account. I explained that I didn't fit kitchens, windows, doors or staircases and that in any case I don't like to run accounts with anyone.

Ended up with a bag full of goodies, pads, pens, air fresheners, tee shirt, a rather nice Irwin jack saw & the deal that if I opened an account - without having to spend a single penny - I would get 20 tubes of silicone completely free.

So I did, no trade or bank refs required, got my free silicone and a £3K credit account. Never ever used it. Obviously some kinda sales promotion with a target & no doubt a bonus scheme.

Got a flyer in the post today, on the theme of 'Remember you opened a trade account?'

'Activate your account, get £100 off any single transaction when you spend £100 - even if you only spend £100 - thats right, your first purchase could be completely free'.

I've read the small print 3 times & can't find a catch. The only thing they sell that I might buy is the Ryobi range of power tools.

I shall pop in & check it out. £100 worth of power tools for free? I could flog them & pocket the dosh!

Someone in their marketing department is obviously desperate & doesn't have a bloody clue.

I'll report back.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's true, I know lots of people who have taken the box of silicone and the

100 quid and never been back
Reply to
Phil L

Yup, popped in today & its kosher. I shall avail myself of £100 worth of Ryobi power tools.

I explained to them when I opened the account that I didn't buy anything they sold.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds like a wonderful deal! Can we all have a 'Trade' account - or do they actually require some evidence that we're in the trade?

Reply to
Roger Mills

The rep saw my van - which is heavily signwritten, but other than that nothing. Didn't ask for bank details, trade or bank references. In fact I made it quite clear that I didn't buy anything much that they sold and that I didn't like trade accounts. I only have one from my decking supplier & I pay that off as soon as the customer pays me.

They pretty much insisted I open one. Suspect a business card & letterhead might well do the trick.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Magnet are, however, getting lots of free publicity on Usenet. You have served their purpose quite nicely.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Publicity, perhaps. But the effect on their bottom line is going to be negative rather than positive if everyone who reads about it here goes and gets their hundred quid's worth of freebies without buying anything else!

Reply to
Roger Mills

So you would rather not know about an offer of £100 worth of stuff for free?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Their website now says £50 of your first purchase, still worth a punt if its going to cost you nothing.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

But...do they actually discount the purchase at the till or issue you with £50 worth of credit or vouchers?

Reply to
Harry

You buy via your monthly account. My voucher is for £100. Say the bill is £105. Your statement comes in as £105 debit, £100 credit, balance to pay £5.

Thats how it was explained to me when I called in to ask.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

discounted

Coo, ta, I'll d/l their application form next.

Reply to
Harry

Where did I say that?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Errrrm when you said >>> Magnet are, however, getting lots of free publicity on Usenet. You

If I hadn't 'served their purpose' you wouldn't know about it would you? Doh.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Magnet are, however, getting lots of free publicity on Usenet" might use a lot of the same letters as "I'd rather not know about an offer of 100 worth of stuff for free" but they totally different sentences with totally different meaning.

Exactly. Like I said, lots of free publicity on Usenet.

Indeed.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q