Magnaclean question

Would anyone please be able to advise re this product? I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it: a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture? b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad here:

anyone. Nigel

Reply to
nrh

a) Yes, b) Neither.

There is a removable part where all the debris *that is magnetic* will be trapped. The magnet does not come into contact with the water. The debris can be disposed of.

Note that really severe corrosion is non magnetic.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

This seems to be the natural successor to those magic water softeners, where a few turns of wire around the pipe with a current flowing in it solves all your hard water problems but empties your wallet.

It's a magnet. It only collects magnetic particles. It does bugger all for the rest of the tripe in the pipes.

I wish I had thought of it and become rich, but I thought it too simple a con to fool people. :((

Reply to
EricP

So it removes magnetite sludge in that case.

Presumably it also removes any heavier-than-water particles too.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

This is not a con in the sense that an alternative (and unverifiable) set of physics laws are being claimed for its method of operation. Magnetism on magnetic debris is not witchcraft, the effect of magnets on the propensity of water to deposit CaCO3 & MgCO3 out of solution when heated might well be.

My beef is that, it is unnecessary, and where needed most it will neither have been installed already nor will it work.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Only particles of Nickle, Cobalt etc. uncommon contaminants IME.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In news: snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk, Ed Sirett scribed:

Thanks (again!) Ed. As I am keen to protect my newly installed secondary heat exchanger from further blockages by the black 'rust' before I can renew my rusting old rads in the summer, I was hoping this might prove to be the answer. I've got some Sentinel x400 swilling around in there at the moment, but obviously I can't leave it in for months on end. Nor do I really want to add an inhibitor in a couple of weeks time when I come to flush it all out, only to dump it when I change the rads. Still, for the price, I guess it isn't too much hardship. Just weighing up the pro's and cons at the mo, really.

Cheers Nigel

Reply to
nrh

Ive fitted a few of these now and they are good.certainly warrant th £80 price tag.They will only collect magnetite sludge and not reduc scale etc but thats not what there purpose is for.You only fit them o the ch pipework and not the domestic water side

-- gasgard

Reply to
gasgard

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, EricP scribed:

:-)

Reply to
nrh

Does this one remove Snake Oil?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I think you can, actually.

A 'wasted' pack of inhibitor will be cheaper than £80!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hmm, not wot it says on the tin tho. "Min 48 hours (!!) / Max 4 weeks". Any further comment?

Yep, too true.

Nigel

Reply to
nrh

It seems you know little about it. They really do work, and work very well. They make all the CH water very clean indeed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It removes all particles.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They are well worth installing on boiler changes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is.

Install one now. they are easy to fit. It will take all the crap out if the system. Install, and clean after one week, then every month until the boiler change. 3 weeks before the boiler change install X-400. Leave the filter still in, or relocate, after the boiler change. then install X-100.

Use disposable gloves when cleaning the filters and have a bucket under. nasty gooey stuff.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They also pick up non-magnetic solids too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Inhibitor wears off, the Magnaclean filter works all the time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

And do different unrelated jobs...

So the point of your comment is?

Reply to
John Rumm

In news:43be5b95$0$34481$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net, Doctor Drivel scribed:

why just "on boiler changes", if that is what you are implying? I have NO intention of retiring my 8yo Vaillant just yet, TYVM! ;-)

Nigel

Reply to
nrh