Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof)

If you look on the bottom of your milk bottles etc you will see the "triangle arrow" recycle symbol, inside that is a number. That's the plastic type for recycling.

My milk bottle is Type 2 with HDPE underneath it.

Well, they recycled everything during the war, apparently, so it shouldn't be too difficult. And looking at the number in the symbol is a lot easier for everyone that trying to decide whether polyethylene can go in the polyvinyl box or vice versa.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Clearly not enough festering bin bags have been dumped on Mr Comer's doorstep if he thinks this is a success. I don't think that it's acceptable for the council to require people to separate rubbish as kitchen waste as is being suggested. If he thinks that this is important then he can make the door to door visits to sift through the rubbish. Were I a resident, I would be calling their hotline every week.

Reply to
Andy Hall

(on recycling schemes)

Luxury!

Where I used to live the local authority provides the following:

A green wheely-bin for "clean glass (no labels, lids or corks)" which also contains a red bin liner for "plastic bottles and cans (no caps or labels)"

A blue wheely-bin for "paper (no cardboard, plastic bags or white telephone directories)"

A brown wheely-bin for "garden waste and other material suitable for compost (no wood)"

A large black wheely bin for everything else.

The blue bin is collected every eight weeks on a Wednesday, the green bin (with its red bag) is collected every four weeks on a Tuesday, the brown bin is collected on the 12th of each month and the black bin every Thursday.

The bins have to be put out before 7 AM on the day of collection and each one is collected from a slightly different place. Needless to say the days and weeks never coincide and tend to change without notice when there's a public holiday.

In practice the 7AM deadline means that the bins have to be put out the evening before - so passing yobs knock them over and throw the contents at nearby vehicles. What the yobs leave the foxes root through.

If somebody dumps a pizza box in your green bin then the van won't collect it and instead leaves it by the side of the road for you to take to the tip later.

Did I mention this was a small terraced house with a yard and no garden?

My own view is that recycling will only work when you get some sort of sorting machine at the depot, and eliminate all this nonsense.

John

Reply to
John White

Read what I wrote, "rinse" just water. Though in our case it's the washing up water just before the plug is pulled. No additional resources used above that for the normal washing up. Yes, washing up by hand!

So we would only need a collection every 3 months or so (1/4 bag/week, 4 bags = 16 weeks). I bet they'd still come every week...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I fill up any leftover space at the top of the DW with fruit punnets, margarine tubs etc.

Jars I soak off the label and most of the of the left over contents, and put them on top of and between the cups/mugs.

Time is an important consideration too, but considering the time spent buying, storing and eating the contents, a bit of extra time spent on recycling is nothing really.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

As previously stated nearly all our waste goes for recycling but if they slapped a "no labels" requirement that would rapidly change. I'll not waste my time getting the labels of the beer, wine and milk bottles or other glass/plastic containers. Many plastic food containers are printed anyway.

As it stands jam jars that take more than a 5 minute soak to get the label off cleanly go for recycling rather than our own jam production.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, sure I read about that somewhere ;-)

I don't think I have ever put out a wheelie bin less than 3/4 full... (shame we can't recycle cardboard in these parts, since I always end up with a significant quantity of that)

Reply to
John Rumm

They way they run the scheme in Southend on Sea (private refuse cointractors) seems reasonable - they furnish two sets of bags to householders, pink translucent ones and normal black sacks. You stick anything recyclable into the pink sacks (list on the side - but they take most stuff), and other rubbish into the black ones. Once per week they send round two sets of collection crews (about 1 hr appart), first one lifts all the pink sacks, and the next takes the black ones. The only thing they seem to ask is you tie up the sacks and leave them neatly on the pavement beside your property. They handle all the sorting of the recycleable stuff. Hence if you have one week with extra rubbish you put out extra bags, nice and easy!

Round here you are only allowed one wheelie bin load week with no overspill sacks (appart from two or three "holiday season" specials per year), and a blue box of (limited) recyclables they they collect once per fortnight while making a huge noise!

Reply to
John Rumm

There are only so many places to bury those TV licence inspectors.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

|On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:35:55 +0100, John Rumm | wrote: | |>Dave Liquorice wrote: |>

|>> What contaminated food packaging? Tins rinse easy, as do bottles and |>> jars, frozen food packs/bags are pretty clean but again rinse if |>> required. |>

|>At what cost (monetary or environmental) in water, heating, and |>detergent though? | |I fill up any leftover space at the top of the DW with fruit punnets, |margarine tubs etc. | |Jars I soak off the label and most of the of the left over contents, |and put them on top of and between the cups/mugs. | |Time is an important consideration too, but considering the time spent |buying, storing and eating the contents, a bit of extra time spent on |recycling is nothing really.

I notionally charge all time I spend on anything at the National Minimum Wage, currently roughly GBP 5 per hour. If somebody, somewhere does not get GBP 5 for everything I do it is not worth doing.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yes we have to do cardboard - we have seperate sacks for paper and cardboard. Then they come round and empty both into the back of the same truck. Go figure...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Judging by the house our local operative lives in, it's a nice little earner.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

drill lots of drainage holes in the bottom (or create an airspace and fit a tap if you're feeling really excited) then add an expanded lump of coir and about 250g of compost worms. Then you can dispose of uncooked, vegetable kitchen waste. It will also benefit from a small amount of shredded paper and cardboard.

Provided you don't let things rot anaerobically before putting them in (guilty yerronor - the smell was unholy) there should be virtually no odour. Make sure you keep water out and that the thing drains properly otherwise you will drown then worms (also guilty yerronor - still the resultant mucky mess made our beans grow a treat!)

Reply to
Fitz

Tell me about your posting to usenet...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Somebody includes *me*, and entertainment has a value, as does helping others, who hopefully find value in my posts.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Well, it's possible that (a) They are emptying into two separate compartments in the truck (b) They are preparing for the day when they can do better paper recycling but aren't there yet (c) Something's gone wrong with the paper recycling they used to do or (d) It's an example of Blair-like joined-up thinking by 2 separate depts in your council?

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Certainly isn't (a) - but they do that with the our Recycling Box: somebody goes through that item by item - bottles this way, cans that way.

Maybe they reckoned the local populace would rebel if they were presented with yet another box... or maybe they'll phase another one in later, once we've all stopped grumbling.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Down here (Folkestone) our collections went to biweekly for the landfill waste and we were all given a box and a bag for recycling. Tins and bottles (plastic and glass) go in the box, paper and cardboard in the bag and everything else goes in the wheely bin. If you ask them they give you another bin for garden waste which goes to a local farm to be composted (annoyingly, no food waste, peelings etc can go into this - something to do with dumping food waste onto farm land apparantly). Box and bag are collected every week.

Not had a problem with maggots and we dump all sorts in there - including meat waste (bones, scaps etc etc). The advice from the council was to ensure that the lid was shut and then the flies can't get in and there isn't a problem. In practice, this appears to work despite every ones concerns.

Also, we find that the two of us adults, a five year old and a two year old copes with the wheely bin only being emptied once a fortnight - and that is with disposable nappies going in it (yes, I know...)

Can begin to whiff a bit towards the end of the fortnight but as long as the lid is shut then it is fine - only people I know around here who have had problems have been overfilling the bin so the lid doesn't shut.

We didn't :) As I say, it's actualy worked out quite well despite our concerns - the most annoying thing is that they dump down the instructions. Plastic bottles can be recycled - plastic packaging can't. When I asked about what types could and couldn't they admitted that a lot of packaging can but it was too complicated to tell people how to identify them :-(

not quite the case here - the landfill collections were halved but they added the recycling ones at the same time. Of course, on the days where we have both the recycling lorry always seems to meet the landfill truck in the middle of our street heading in opposite directions...usually around the time the school at the end of the road kicks out. traffic chaos...

Darren

Reply to
dmc

The message from snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) contains these words:

It's to help prevent another outbreak of foot and mouth, amongst other things.

Reply to
Guy King

Around here we changed to wheelie bins about - oh, ten years ago. With the previous system you weren't supposed to bin garden rubbish - lawn clippings and so on. "Salvage" collection of separately gathered newspapers went out decades ago. When wheelies came in you could deposit (almost!) anything in them, including garden stuff. Collections were still (as now) weekly. Smaller wheelie bins were supplied to old folks' bungalows, mainly from the point of view of manhandling by the folks themselves (previously the binmen would collect the bin from the back garden if necessary!). A few years ago the LA were criticised for lack of recycling, so a box system was introduced for the deposit of paper, glass and tin cans; collected every fortnight on the same day as the wheelie. Many people didn't/don't use their box - loads of these have been squirrelled away by builders etc for transporting rubble. These are emptied by a private firm, as an agent for the LA. More recently, the LA (still being nagged by the recycling police) introduced an extra wheelie-bin for the deposit of garden refuse. Just to confuse the issue, they call it a "Green-it" collection, using brown wheelies, whereas the original wheelies are green in colour. These are also emptied every fortnight (except in winter), on alternate weeks to the recycling box. I think the "Green-it" bins are only supplied to those who have gardens - terraced town houses don't have much (if any) of a garden :-) There's still no problem putting garden waste into the "normal" wheelie, which is just as well for me when I have the occasional bash at the front and back lawns :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine