"Made for PowerBreaker" 13 Amp plugs

Hello all.

Can anyone please supply a source of supply for the above: It's a different, and easier to wire plug: the 3 inner connectors are "inline", and therefore the connecting leads can be the same length. What are your thoughts about this item (good and/or bad)?

Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Andy Burns

Nope. If it has the same build quality as other PowerBreaker products, I'm not touching them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not precisely what you asked for, but try MK plugs - these specifically:

the wires are all prepared to the same length - these plugs have been around for at least 30 years and they've always been good.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks, but I've decided to take Tim and Andy's advice.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I've already used a few, but I'm taking your advice all the same.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

OK, I'll settle for these. I suppose that I can stretch to a carton of 10. :)

Thanks.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Try Woolworths etc - these used to be the de-facto decent plug (non-rubber anyway), and were usually sold by pretty much everyone as an alternative to the cheapo crappy plugs that they also sold. Shouldn't be hard to get hold of singly. Must admit, I haven;t bought a plug top for years, since everything comes with a moulded lead - what I've needed has been in my junk box.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Personaly I always wire a plug top with the earth longer(*) so that it is the last one to pull out. In a normal plug top this is easy to do but with inline terminals it must be a bit random as to which wire is last to part company...

(*) This may well have been day 1 lesson 1 on my BBC Engineering training course, it was certainly very early in course and you had to get it right or you were one step closer to termination.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The best plug ever made IMHO. I have several with the Granada logo embost on the lid. and one with BT.

One thing I have wondered about. I expect that unique shutter mechanism that requires no assistance from the earth pin is patented. Is that right? If it is, then its a good job nobody patented the usual shutter arrangment, or we wouln't have much choice in who supplied them.

Reply to
Graham

Its just occured to me that my question applies to MK sockets rather than plugs.

Reply to
Graham

This shouldn't happen with a properly and carefully fitted plug. I take my time (I'm not a professional, so can afford to), and have never had plug trouble.

I always have a "problem" with the L (live) connection. It's the only one that has to be of an exact length, or it won't fit.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I do too. I leave a slightly longer earth and slightly shorter neutral on the MK ones.

I remember the same. Jack Brickle?? in the workshop at Wood Norton.

Reply to
<me9

Yes, and you want the live to pull out first.

For homework, consider if there is a preferred order for the conductors to pull out of a trailing socket when subjected to a breaking strain.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My personal pet hate is any plug where the pins and fuse holder are loose. My favourite is still, as others have said, the MK Safetyplug - it was the first IIRC to offer both the same length leads and a no screw cord grip. However, fitting a plug is such a rare occurrence these days I've not bought any for ages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is the plug/s that I intend to get, sooner rather than later.

P.S. There's something missing from your sig. :)

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

So there is - Pluto must be asleep.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It shouldn't pull out if the cable has been clamped correctly, and the cable and plug are a proper match.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Feck knows it's nearly 30 years ago. The only bits that stick in my mind are that it was in one of the oversized dark brown sheds at the top end somewhere, triming the outer insulation with a razor blade was a no no and make the earth longest.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nice one and I see no one has taken it on all day...

At a quick think, first N, then E, then L. The prime one to avoid is L out as that will be really live. N first stops things working and would hopefully prompt some investigation, you still have the E connection. If that goes the strain is probably so high the L will follow pretty quickly...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice