Machine Shop Retirement

Page 1 of 3
In an ageing population there must be many who, like myself, have a machine shop complete with many useful accessories that is now seldom used except for light repair work. Has anyone arrived at a method of dispersing of the more uncommon items without having a factory clear out? Any advice welcome.
--
Charles

Ebay is full of such things. It's a cheap way to dispose of unwanted items which will usually achieve a decent price. But you've usually got to be prepared to arrange for delivery of some sort.
It's also quite fun following the action on an item you've got up for sale - many never get any worthwhile bids until the very last second.
--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Charles Denroche wrote:

eBay is the best way I know of to dispose of surplus items Heavy things can attract high postage charges but often enthusiasts are willing to collect of pass on through a network of like minded people. You could try joining uk.rec.models.engineering and the yahoo modeleng group. hth
Bob

can
Looking at my surplus heap, I have visions of a Postie trying to push an Accuratool 6D through someone's letterbox.
Colin Bignell

Colin,
It it quite normal on eBay for capital items like your auto-lathe to be 'buyer arranges collection at his cost' though if you have loading means 'can load onto your transport' is always an encouragement to buyers. Sadly they don't fetch a lot in comparison with their original cost :(
Andrew Mawson

things
I took it out of use partly because it was virtually impossible to bring it up to the current standards for work equipment. That means I could not legally offer it for sale, except as scrap, and the scrap merchant would charge me to take it away. I'm not even legally permitted to give old equipment to staff for their own use, but a few have taken stuff home, purely, of course, for the scrap value (or possibly as workshop ornaments). The Accuratool is a bit big for them though. So far as I am concerned, anyone who wanted to collect it from West Sussex, for scrap or spares, would be welcome to have it. We would even load it, if the transport were suitable for loading with a fork truck.
Colin Bignell
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:32:53 -0000, "nightjar"

Accuratool? Wasn't that a Dowding and Doll automatic lathe from the 70's?
PoP

Mine dates from 1964, but otherwise correct.
Colin Bignell
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:37:43 -0000, "nightjar"

Wow. I remember them so well. I worked for Dowding and Doll at Chandlers Ford for a few months during the work placement of my OND Engineering. That would have been in 1973, my first-ever job.
I most probably worked alongside some of the people who put your lathe together - when I was there the typical age would have been 50-ish and they'd been on the production line for some years.
That plugboard programmer of the turret lathe with all the relays in the cabinet still has fond memories for me!
PoP

Charles,
This is obviously a HUGE problem for you, but I am prepared to solve it for you - just send it all to me !
Andrew Mawson
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:03:10 +0000, Charles Denroche

You might like to identify the types of people who might be interested in these tools, and then search for them on the Internet in your locality. If I'm anything like an average person I wouldn't have a problem if someone cold-called me to enquire whether I'd be interested in a secondhand gungle-pin bending machine in good order, if I was into bending gungle-pins in my day to day job.
As a general handyman I invest quite a lot in new tools and equipment and there are still some things on my Christmas present list (which Santa won't bring next week). For example I'd really, really, really like to own a decent slide/mitre saw - I can get by without at the moment but in due course would expect to buy one - if someone made me aware of a potential bargain purchase I might be tempted to get it earlier.
As someone else commented, ebay is a worthwhile place to offer items you want to get rid of. But be wary - don't let anything out of your sight until you've got the cash in the bank.
PoP

Well, yes. But is it any different from giving your car, etc, to someone who wants to pay by cheque if it's advertised by 'normal' means?
FWIW, I think the average Ebay punter is rather more honest than the average for the country.
--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:38:35 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Probably - I've done lots of deals on ebay and to date got stung just once. The value of the item I purchased was 2.50 so no hardship.
PoP

My only occasion was somewhat different - the guy I 'won' an item of old test gear from wouldn't set a postage figure, so I couldn't pay - he obviously decided it went for too little. He re-auctioned it and I didn't bid, and it went for much less. He did complete that deal, though, as I checked with the winner.
He said he hadn't had any of the e-mails I sent him asking for the total, and had sent a total to me. But I had all the copies of mine since I'd sent several to him through Ebay, and they send you a copy.
It's one thing to look out for - the carriage charge being upped to compensate for what they think is a low winning bid. I much prefer the carriage cost to be stated on the item page.
--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:56:51 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Actually the ebay rules allow you to back out of a winning bid if the postage is exagerated beyond what is reasonable. If you send an email to ebay they will look into this situation and ensure that your account isn't badly marked from having retracted your bid.
PoP

Actually, consumer law allows you seven days to *unconditionally* back out of a purchase on the net.
On 21 Dec 2003 15:35:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Whilst i know about the rule for distance selling, does that also cover online auctions ? Never really thought about it to be honest.

AFAIK, yes. But IANAL.

But isn't the fact that it's an auction the relevant bit?
--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

No idea. I wouldn't have thought that it's an auction is of any relevance. The reason given for the cooling off period is because you are unable to inspect the goods, which is as relevant for auctions as anything else.
Anyhow, I've just told a US vendor that I'm not taking up an item I bid on, on Ebay's UK site, since there is no reasonable way I can get the money to him. No reply, as yet....