Machine Mart workbenches - anygood?

Want to get a work bench for my garage now that it no longer houses a car :)

Does anyone have any opinion on the work benches from MachineMart such as

it flimsy metal or any good?

Any other reomendations?

Thanks.

Reply to
Rob Horton

That does look flimsey to me and a helluva price for it. My workbench is an office desk,the type that has a square metal tubing frame with solid wood draw and table top,bought for 15GBP in an auction room.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

|Want to get a work bench for my garage now that it no longer houses a car :) | |Does anyone have any opinion on the work benches from MachineMart such as | |

||Is it flimsy metal or any good? | |Any other reomendations?

I got a flat pack wooden bench from B&Q for about GBP30, a bit flimsy as it was designed. Screwed and *glued* it together, then screwed and *glued* old plywood to the sides and back, added a bit of ply to the top, a couple of doors on the front, and it is now very strong.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

This is the type on ebay

The3rd Earl Of Derby

in in no time. My bench is 955mm off the floor, sized by me holding a plane at a good height and getting the eldest to measure from floor to plane sole. I can plane hard all day and not feel my back at all (I did pull my left biceps insertion a couple of months back though).

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Swings and Roundabouts for each individual. :-)

However a bit of ingenuity will bring the height to the desired comfortable working level.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sign up to your local freecycle list(

), and pick up a table off there. I grabbed a old kitchen table.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Here's my recommendation:

Bloody hell, if you have the nouse, a load of 3 x 2 will soon square up to a perfect fit and a piece of ply on top would be ideal for a DIYer worth his salt. The tons of stuff that goes to infill from office refurbs daily, is astonishing. Any of it would be perfectly adequate for workbenches.

As for Machine Mart I have a long list of tat at inflated prices that I have had to take back. I might be tempted to list them once I get my money back tomorrow for that awful door hinge jig I bought a week or so back.

Never go there again if you have any pride.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That is sort of me. Underframe is made from softwood 3X2s laminated for extra strength. top is one piece of 18mm MDF between two pieces of 18mm WBP ply. Underframe build using hand tools and a workmate (solid no frills Wickes job). top was built up on the frame. The whole thing is now rock solid stable with the insertion of a ply underbench cupboard that fits so snugly between the legs it took two of us several attempts to get it square enough to slide home.

Eventually I'll use it to build a hardwood bench but only for vanity reasons, the one I have is perfectly adequate.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Local scaffolding yard.

4 suitable length boards. 4 short tubes for legs

DIY Store or wood merchant

3" X 3" to screw and glue to the underside of the scaff boards for support. 5" in from each board end so you can bolt through for the leg poles Rawlbolts to mount 3" x 3" to wall across back of board nearest wall.

Drill holes same size as scaff poles in ends of boards alongside the 3 X 3 and mount through the 3 x 3 bolting in place with suitable bolts and nuts the poles

Jobs a good un.

Top it off with a nice rubber mat and you're away

Reply to
6