LV downlighters... shrouds

BCO just been out for final inspection... I need shrouds inside the ceiling cavity covering the LVD's, he said they're cloth and look like little tents, anyone know where I can buy them ?

thanks

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Any local electrical wholesaler, or somewhere like TLC mail order...

Andrew Gabriel

I thought these were only needed when insulation would cover the lights, are they really needed in a (downstairs?) ceiling "cavity"?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

they're in the basement ceiling cavity, it had to have 30 minutes fire protection and the downlighters don't provide that cover without the shrouds

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

thanks Andrew, knowing the proper term for them helped... local factors can get them £307 for 29...

could have had an all-in-one light fitting for £14 each if I'd known /c;

SWMBO nearly fell over (c;

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Strictly, they are needed whereever you punch a hole though a fire barrier. This would apply to any such lights in a 3-storey house except on the top floor. It may apply in other situations too (it would seem to be a reasonable requirement for all kitchen ceilings for example, although I don't think it is).

They are nothing to do with keeping insulation of the lights, but to ensure fire doesn't spread through the light filling to the area above the ceiling.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Screwfix stock them.

Reply to
Mike

Blimey!!

is there anyway to do this on the cheep, (just thinking out loud) but could you build a plaster board box around the light in the cavity, and surround it with insulation?

lucky my kitchen lights are in a first floor flat, I paid around 100 quid for 10 lights/transformers/junction boxes, etc... which I thought was a bargain... but if I was downstairs I would have had to pay out another 120 quid for these things...

Reply to
Harris

my buddies here helped me with exactly this problem back in march of this year.

search for recessed lighting and dealing with loft insulation for the full thread. many ideas were exchanged, the plaster box idea was one of them. my final solution was to buy several large plastic buckets from the local pound shop - drilling a few holes in them to help disperse heat (tip: stack them together and drill through all of them at once) I got change out of £6 for six of them and they've worked a treat. hth

Please reply to the newsgroup - it's not my email address in the header!!

Reply to
Baffie

The only reason I said about plasterboard board box is that it should still give 30 minutes fire protection??

Reply to
Harris

How does a plastic bucket help you with fire protection?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

It's full of water.....

Reply to
Harris

In article , Harris writes

har har

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

lights are in adn the ceiling is plastered, the only way I can add fire protection to the downlighters is to use these intumescent shrouds

well, I only paid £100 for 30 from screwfix so can't complain... until a transformer goes and I have to pull the ceiling apart to replace it that is (c;

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

They should have been inserted through the light holes, so that they can easily be withdrawn and replaced.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I thought flats on any floor have to have them.

Reply to
Mike

hope not, its a converted house and the only thing above is the loft space so I doubt it... (downstairs has them without shrouds!)

Reply to
Harris

take a look at part B (and E) of the building regs

Reply to
John