LV downlighter touching the timber joist

Hi all,

After cutting downlighter holes in the ceiling I have found that two of them will be touching the ceiling timber frame /bad planning, I know/. The die cast downlighter is going to get extremely hot. Is it safe?

Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:22:17 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Rafal" strung together this:

Whilst I'm not recommending that it will be OK as it is you may be alright. To be on the safe side you want something to reflect the heat from the joist, a piece of plasterboard or some of that heatproof matting as used by plumbers will do the job.

Reply to
Lurch

No! Read the installation instructions for the downlighters. They will specify a minimum clearance between the light and the nearest woodwork - probably 50mm.

I know from experience that it needs a *lot* of planning - before cutting the holes - to find suitable positions for these things - particularly when (as I have) you have an L-shaped room with the joists at one end running at right angles to those at the other end!

Reply to
Set Square

Questionable. Some sheet metal on the wood could be used to prevent direct touch and to spread the heat out, but I couldnt assure you all will be well. Heat may cause the wood to try to deform too. Doesnt sound very good.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You could experiment with some ideas. If you find a thin enough piece of asbestos by tacking it to a piece of similair size piece of timber. Then play a blow torch on it for 5/10/20 minutes this should simulate and excede the most extreme effects of your situation.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:28:58 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Arthur" strung together this:

Hmmm???????

Reply to
Lurch

He's doing asbestos he can......