Lumpy pigeons on slate roof, and the quest for better broadband

Other rural dwellers will no doubt share my experience of phone line based broadband - i.e. it hardly qualifies for the title. So I was quite surprised to note that the EE 4G coverage map seemed to show us in a full coverage area.

So some experimentation was deemed sensible. I got a Huawei E398 USB dongle jobbie from ebay, and PAYG SIM from EE. Once the SIM finally turned up (took a fortnight for their "next day" delivery, and then some time on the phone to locate the £10 that I had preloaded on it!), I found rather encouragingly that 6MB/s up and down was possible with a laptop in the garden.

So next job, try the dongle in the router... alas relocating it to the router cupboard reduced the signal to 34% and "Marginal" - sometimes rising to workable. Throughput was mostly about 1MB/s although sometimes a bit better.

Next experiment, a 15dB flat panel twin polarisation aerial on the ends of 15m of cable. Lobbed out a window, and sat on a bird bath, and the signal was up into the 50% "Good category". So worth the while installing it for real.

So got the ladder up (only about 16' to the eves), then manhandled the roof ladder up (7.6m twin section heavy bugger![1]) - eventually getting it into place, tried the thing clamped onto the base of the TV aerial mast. Result 68% signal, and "Excellent".

About this time SWMBO commented that it sounded like there were some very heavy pigeons on the roof romping about! All I could say was "Coo".

Now one observation on the first trip up, was that I have got the first load spreader actually hooked over the ridge - not just the hook. Meaning it could in theory have slipped about 8" while I was on it. So for the return trip to secure the device and work out how to get the cables though, I repositioned it "correctly". This in hindsight was a mistake. Since it now put the last load spreader mid span on the final row of (fibre cement look alike) slates. Turn out they are unsupported by battens at this point - a fact drawn to my attention as the load spreading foot of the ladder plus lumpy pigeon descended several inches through about 5 of the buggers in one sickening shattering crunchy sound!

That extended the job somewhat. Quick trip to local roofing yard to collect more slates. Then go find the slater's "rip" I bought some years back just in case. Another couple of hours later I had them all looking pretty again and held in place with a mixture of lead tingles and copper rivets.

So observations:

1) If your broadband is crap, check for wireless coverage. 2) If you have a roof ladder - be careful where you position it on slates - toward the visible end of slates is generally good - 5" up from the eves is not! 3) Load spreaders don't - a 1m wide 4x2 tied to the lower rungs makes it more probable you can get a large load on an off the latter without damage.

[1] I have a love hate relationship with that ladder - although its long enough to do pretty much any roof, its bordering on the too heavy to use comfortably while standing on a ladder. I do wish someone would invent a roof ladder where you could adjust the length of it in place, rather than having to pull it half way down each time to reach the adjuster, since otherwise you find you have raised and lower the thing three or four times before getting the length right.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have just changed my 3G phone from O2 to Three. Speed of transfer (not actually measured - only my perception) is massively better. So far (one day of working at several locations) and coverage is at least as good as was O2. In fact, not sure I have any idea whether I am getting data on

3G or Wifi unless I check.

My work phone is 4G on EE and I regularly have no service - phone or data. When it gets a good signal it is quite decent - but far too many black holes.

Reply to
polygonum

I'd suppose as with most radio devices that need to work in two directions, it is often the return from where you are to the place the network starts to be wired that is the issue.

It might even be worth rotating and moving about your external aerial for most secure connection. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

From the limited experimentation I have done so far, there is far less asymmetry than with ADSL. Upload seems to usually be always 3 Mbit/s or better - and often on par with the download.

To be fair there did not seem to be that much variation with rotation - the beam width is probably in the order of 35 degrees anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

You might find that one of the MiFi devices works a fair bit better than a basic dongle (although not as good as a high gain aerial).

Take the coverage maps with a pinch of salt too. Mine says Three is OK outdoors but in practice my internal service on 3G is faster than my wired ASDL! But the data charges sting a bit for casual use.

4G coverage out here is practically non-existent as is 2G on O2.

One well known local 3G blackspot says "full coverage"!

You have to experiment a bit to find where exactly to place the MiFi to get optimum results. Knowing where your nearest mast is helps and don't underestimate the effects of nearby mirrors or other large flat conductors. You can bodge a reflector from aluminium foil on cardboard at a pinch and 3dB passive signal gain can make all the difference.

[I stopped reading here - working at height is really not my thing]
Reply to
Martin Brown

Possibly, although in this case I really needed something that would integrate with the remainder of my network and I could set load balancing policies for. So it had to be a dongle that the router could connect to directly. The one I went for also has the external antenna connectors (a pair of).

You can find the base station location using:

In this case I have clear line of sight to ours just about - although there will be some tree screening.

Executive summary for the remainder: it turned out ok in the end, and the only fatalities were some slates ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Ours is the other way around. We've got good coverage they said - but in practice large parts of the house have none at all.

John's map shows no base stations at all - so I zoomed out, and it then says "zoom in so you can see them"!. It looks as though the nearest site is 3 miles away over a hill.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I found that quirk a bit annoying too. You have to set the zoom just right and then scout around looking for the nearest ones. Seems a bit mean since if you just put your postcode in you get nothing at all. They could at least set to zoom so you get a couple of nodes shown.

Although I could guess where to look for the most obvious transmitters having line of sight on them up on the scarp edge.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Currently 6.21 Mbps BRAS down over nearly 3 miles of mixed copper/ali. But another mile or so down to the village and it's crap

1 or 2 Mbps if you are lucky. The village is also in the bottom of a valley, 2G is very iffy if it exists at all let 4G...

Do they have any suitably priced tarrifs with enough data? Last couple of months we have chomped through 100 GB of download at £25/100 GB. Static IPv4 address? IPv6 available? Any port blocking or traffic shaping don't want any of that shit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That is remarkably good if there is aluminium in the path! Faster than mine of about the same length on ancient pure copper @ 5152k. Download speed is actually badly limited by lost acks going back on a very noisy uplink channel that has 50 error seconds/day and 1000 HEC errors. I am lucky to get streaming radio for more than 5 minutes without a glitch and HDTV is out of the question crashing after only a couple of minutes.

I know of places not far from me that barely get sync at 256k on mainly aluminium cables and have POTS noise like you would not believe!

Not really. Although it might be competitive at 100MB/month on some of the "all you can eat" data deals (depending on what that really means).

I use 3G as a backup fast link at home and an internet data connection when I am visiting my parents (who don't have any broadband).

Shop around and you can sometimes get introductory PAYG SIMs with 3GB over 3 months preloaded for about £12 (usually £20). OK for browsing, email and Windows updates (but best to sync everything before going on the road with it). Obviously no good for video on demand!

You may have to compromise but the Three offering is about £15/month.

I think there is another cheaper SIM 200 monthly tariff too.

I have a much cheaper tariff since I use it as little as possible.

It is only worthwhile iff you have network coverage, but high up I have found that often the range is a lot better than you might expect! YMMV

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's heavy ali, each wire is about 1 mm dia rather than the normal

0.5 mm of copper.

They ought to jump up and down and get that POTS noise sorted out.

Dig you miss read how much we used in each of last couple of months?

100 GB not MB. 100 MB wouldn't last an hour at the weekend. B-)

I can see the cell mast from upstairs about 4 miles away. It probably only has 3G on it though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oops. My typo! I meant 100GB (I use about 500MB/month average 3GB peak).

3G will give you nearly 20Mbps and a more nearly symmetric up and down link.
Reply to
Martin Brown

Have you, and Dave for that matter, ever looked into the possibility of getting a microwave link in from somewhere that you could pick up a higher speed connection from nearer the exchange and possibly sharing it with a few people to spread the cost and make it worthwhile in your remote areas?..

Units such as the Ubiquity Nanobridge offer high thruput with low costs these days...

tony sayer

There was(*) a community broadband system in place here since 2001. The backhaul started by piggybacking on the CLEO links for the schools. They were WiFi (yes 2.5 GHz WiFi) links. The local distribution was also WiFi, link lengths from a couple of km to the longest not far short of 20 km.

This lasted about 5 years before so much "user" WiFi appeared in the densely populated areas that keeping the system stable/reliable was a nightmare. Local distribution and end user connections then shifted to WiMax on 5 GHz, backhaul also moved to a dedicated licensed microwave link. The backhaul is now on fibre and the whole local distribution/end user connections are about to be upgraded again. Not sure if they are going to use Ubiquity or another "new entrant"s kit.

(*) I say "was" as recently ownership of the majority of the network hardware has been transfered to a commercial provider. Customer contracts will move to the new provider when they get their upgrade (best old rate 2 Mbps, similar cost post upgrade 8 Mbps, the technology should be able to offer up to 24 Mbps). The community funded system was highly unlikely to be able to fund the needed upgrade for several years. The new provider has taken on all the risks and upgrade costs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have considered it, but AFAIK the other surrounding areas that I have decent line of sight access to, don't have decent enough broadband to make it worthwhile yet.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes. There is one such initiative in a neighbouring village by Clannet

We are considering putting a node onto our VH once the fibre rollout is complete and we know for sure where will not be getting superfast.

BT have deliberately upgraded the cabinets in that village to scupper the local microwave initiative :(

Interesting. Are they licensed for UK use?

I might be able to get a line of sight to a farm close to one of the fibre enabled cabinets. I am fighting with my ISP over uplink problems at the moment which may well have been caused by cabinet disturbances.

At least I have a reasonably clean POTS line. Some in the village have lines so noisy and crackly their speech is barely intelligible.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Now that used to happen back in the days before ADSL was that commonplace too;(...

Yes..

Lightly licenced, sort of..

wireless-access/

Good way to do it but trees can affect 5.8 Ghz but given a clear line of sight then they can go for miles..

Get BB via microwave and then use VoIP for your phone:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

As things stand at present VoIP is a lost cause here.

I can barely sustain streamed digital audio downloads for more than a minute before an Ack timeout stalls it losing about 10s of content.

TV on iPLayer fails at about the same frequency and although the headline speed is adequate HDTV is a complete joke :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

Seems in the UK there're the "haves" and err, "have nots" ;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed and BDUK are doing their best to keep it that way :(

Reply to
Martin Brown