Low water pressure

I have recently had a megaflow system fitted but because of very low mains water pressure the output from taps and showers is very poor. Is there a solution to this problem?

Reply to
Simon

Is the pump (I'm assuming that's what the 'system' is) properly situated?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Check that all stopcocks are working and fully open. Then compare with next door to see if there is a supply problem in your neighbourhood.

If it is good, consider replacing your old incoming water main with 25mm MDPE.

If it is bad, you may need to install a large roof tank and a single impellor pump to pressurise it.

Quite frankly, your plumber should have checked pressure and flow of your supply before recommending a mains pressure solution.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There are two factors.

Firstly static pressure, when no water is flowing. If this is low, there isn't a lot you can do about it - but unless it's *very* low, it probably isn't the problem.

Secondly - and potentially more importantly - flow rate. This could be being restricted because of inadequate pipework in your house - or by the pipe from the common mains to your property being too small.

Have you measured the flow rate at the point where the water supply enters your property? With a bucket and stopwatch, turn the kitchen tap (or the tap nearest to the point of entry) full on and time how long it takes to fill the bucket. Weigh the water (1 litre = 1 Kg) and work out the flow rate in litres per minute - and post it here.

Those with more detailed knowledge than me will then tell you what it

*needs* to be to make your megaflow system work half decently.
Reply to
Set Square

Must be pretty low pressure. Our 'mains' pressure is about 1.3 bar, and I've put in a flowmax thermal store. The water delivery from that is so good that we've done away with the shower pump. Maybe the OP has a poor flow rate caused by a constriction?

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You can't use a pump from the mains.

Reply to
IMM

A. We don't need to, because the flow rate is quite adequate.

B. If I want to, I could use a pump on it. Our 'mains' is a reservoir, not a water company main (hence 'mains', not mains). So I can do whatever the hell I want with it. I even have a garden hose without a non-return valve on it! Ha!

Reply to
Grunff

Is it your own reservoir?

Is that how you get your jollies?

Reply to
IMM

Yup. Supplied from our own well, in the middle of our own field.

One of the many ways.

Reply to
Grunff

"Grunff" wrote | IMM wrote: | > Is it your own reservoir? | Yup. Supplied from our own well, in the middle of our own field.

"There may be cows widdling in the water supply, but it's my water and they're my cows."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Eew! No cows.

Reply to
Grunff

What about badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, frogs, etc?

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Yes, loads of them.

Reply to
Grunff

All "widdling in the water supply" ?

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Yup. Just not cows.

Reply to
Grunff

My oh my.....

Reply to
IMM

"Grunff" wrote | Nick Brooks wrote: | > All "widdling in the water supply" ? | Yup. Just not cows.

"There may be badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs widdling in the water supply, but it's my water and they're my badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs. And what are you complaining about. At least there're no cows."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
Grunff

My granparents' house in scotland got it's water supply from a stream that ran through the garden. It collected in a small pool and then ran down a pipe to a tank in their loft.

As children we walked upstream to "see where it came from". Finding a dead sheep in the stream after a few miles put us off drinking water for a while.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Brooks