Low voltage lights.

=A0 London SW

Not only switching power supplies!!!!!

A year or two ago we repaired a car battery charger (can't remember what the problem was). To check we then hooked up a DMM to the output switched on and got some real funny voltage readings. Seemingly ow voltage IIRC.

Oops what's going on? Until we suggested that what the digital meter was seeing from the battery charger output was completely unsmoothed and unfiltered rectified voltages varying between zero and some sort of rectified peak AC voltage. We would have been better off using an analog meter!

Sure enough when we hooked up a spare car battery charging current flowed into the battery and the voltages made sense. A suitable charging voltage for lead acid batteries is around 2.3 volts per cell (maybe a little higher). So for the so called "12 volt car battery" 6 cells at 2.3 volts each =3D 13.8 volts. That's very close to the 14 volts often mentioned.

Commercial outfits often float their batteries (just maintaining them at full charge) at either 2.15 or 2.17 volts per cell. Doesn't sound like much of a difference but avoids boiling the life out of a fully charged battery.

So 6 x 2.15 =3D 12.90 (British Telcomm.) and 6 x 2.17 =3D 13.02 (Old AT&T and Bell System Spec.) Except these were usually for telephone exchange battery strings for a nominal 48 volts. i.e. 24 x 2 =3D 48 volts.

Reply to
terry

Chuck your meter away and put two wires on a 12v bulb and use that. A car indicator at 21w should be bright enough.

Reply to
dennis

>>> They call them electronic transformers and the 'proper' transformers

Higher than mains potential. The mains is first bridge rectified and applied to a reservoir capacitor. From then on it's a DC/DC inverter.

Is 300v AC more lethal than 240v AC? Logic would dictate it was, but I am wondering if there are other factors to conceder, like the ability of muscles to let go, AC vs DC.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

So, would you like to run over your last paragraph again ?

well, most of it

Reply to
geoff

I mis-spelled "consider" but apart from that it made reasonable sense didn't it?

Reply to
Graham.

> Are these really SMPS's?

Most phone chargers are SMPS these days but the Nokia might be an exception. If yours look like mine

it defiantly has a conventional transformer inside I'm sure I saw identical ones blister packed in a Supermarket recently.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

AC / DC are we ?

Reply to
geoff

apart from you quoted 300v AC and 240v AC then asked AC vs DC

but if I read into you're post correctly AC at 50hz is more lethal on the heart than DC at the same level, but its not the voltage that kills but the current

Reply to
Kevin