Low-Voltage Lighting - Transformer Location

low-voltage outdoor lights, with transformer inside house plugged into std

13A mains socket.

Problem is the transformer is ugly and not very discrete when fixed to wall next to socket.

Solution. Spur current socket ( which is on ring main ) to provide power to an additional fused switch next to it, chase the switched supply, in conduit, down the wall to a 30A or 40A 3 terminal junction box located under the floor boards, locate the ugly transformer in the void under the floorboards ( possibly on a batten between joists to avoid it sitting on the floor ) Connect the transformer mains connection to the junction box. Transformer would be located approx. 1 metre from the external cavity wall.

Is this safe practice ? Would I be breaking any wiring regulations by doing this ?

Other comments?

TIA, Jon

Reply to
Jon

In article , Jon writes

Provided that you can access the transformer and junction box if necessary, and that the transformer has sufficient airspace round it for ventilation, that should be fine

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

| >Problem is the transformer is ugly and not very discrete when fixed to wall | >next to socket. | >

| >Solution. Spur current socket ( which is on ring main ) to provide power to | >an additional fused switch next to it, | >chase the switched supply, in conduit, down the wall to a 30A or 40A 3 | >terminal junction box located under the floor boards, | >locate the ugly transformer in the void under the floorboards ( possibly on | >a batten between joists to avoid it sitting on the floor ) | >Connect the transformer mains connection to the junction box. | >Transformer would be located approx. 1 metre from the external cavity wall. | >

| >Is this safe practice ? | >Would I be breaking any wiring regulations by doing this ? | >

| Provided that you can access the transformer and junction box if | necessary, and that the transformer has sufficient airspace round it for | ventilation, that should be fine | -- | Tim Mitchell

Suggest also subject to the "fused switch" having a fuse of rating appropriate to the transformer and it's cable.

Reply to
Me

IMHO this is not really advisable on grounds of accessibility. However if you (the OP) are intent on doing it then ensure that the transformer has some form of built in thermal protection ('thermal fuse' or PTC device). The fuse in the FCU must be assumed only to protect the cable to the transformer and not the transformer itself.

An unprotected transformer could develop shorted turns, overheat and start a fire under the floorboards - unlikely, but not unknown...

Reply to
Andy Wade