Low-voltage lighting- Basic question

I have some low-voltage downlighters in a bathroom and kitchen. Each one has its own transformer and were fitted with dimmer switches. About two monthe after they were fitted, and within about a week of each other, the dimmer switches blew. The original electrician came back and said he'd had a lot of trouble with switches from that particular supplier and put on ordinary switches, pending replacements being obtained. Despite being reminded several times, nothing has been forthcoming and I have given up hope of anything now, (18 months).

My qustion is, exactly what do I require in the way of suitable dimmer switches? The bulbs are, I think, 36 and 50 watts.

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

Reply to
Syke

no surprise there. At least what he fitted later was more sensible.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've had similar problems with dimmer switches on halogen downlighters, and reckon you're probably better off with switches.

If you do want to go ahead and replace the dimmer - how many downlighters do you have per dimmer switch? It's just a case of ensuring the dimmer you buy has adequate rating (multiply the number of lights per switch by 50 to get the rating (in units of W or VA). and check the dimmer is compatible with electronic transformers.

eg, this one is up to 400W so you ought to be able to fit a many as 8 of your LV lights:

David

Reply to
Lobster

Being obviously a chancer, he probably used cheap dimmers not suitable for LV lighting which imposes a different load than GLS.

First you need to ascertain the dimmer is suitable for 'LV' loads. Then if you have real transformers find out the rating - it may be much less than the total load allowable with GLS types. If you have electronic 'transformers' this might not apply. But I'd go for a dimmer rated at one third above the total lamp load. So if the total was 300 watts, use a 400 watt dimmer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The problem is with the transformers and not the dimmer. If it was a problem with the dimmer (e.g. you connected too many lights to a dimmer and overloaded it) it would blow the dimmer not the transformer.

You need to make sure that the transformers are dimmable with a leading edge and trailing edge dimmer.

It sounds like the dimmers used were of a low specification, or were decigned for 230v rather than the UK's higher voltage.

Regards - Jack

stopbox